turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I find the Capital Loss Carry Forward amount available for my 2018 return? user name: papajohn76

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I find the Capital Loss Carry Forward amount available for my 2018 return? user name: papajohn76

One way to find your  Capital Loss Carryover amount is to look at your  return schedule D page 2.  Line 16 will be your total loss and line 21 should be a max loss of 3,000.  The difference between line 16 and 21 is the carryover loss.  

There is also a Carryover Worksheet. If you used the desktop version or have the complete pdf of your last year's return you might have the  Capital Loss CO (carryover) worksheet that will tell you the amount.  In the Online version you have to save your return with all the worksheet as a pdf file to your computer to see the Capital Loss carry over worksheet.  There might be 2.   There is a Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet showing the carryover from the prior year and the current amounts.  Then there is also the Capital Loss Carry Forward worksheet showing the amount transferring over to next year.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

One way to find your  Capital Loss Carryover amount is to look at your  return schedule D page 2.  Line 16 will be your total loss and line 21 should be a max loss of 3,000.  The difference between line 16 and 21 is the carryover loss.  

There is also a Carryover Worksheet. If you used the desktop version or have the complete pdf of your last year's return you might have the  Capital Loss CO (carryover) worksheet that will tell you the amount.  In the Online version you have to save your return with all the worksheet as a pdf file to your computer to see the Capital Loss carry over worksheet.  There might be 2.   There is a Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet showing the carryover from the prior year and the current amounts.  Then there is also the Capital Loss Carry Forward worksheet showing the amount transferring over to next year.

If you transferred the tax data from the 2017 tax return to the 2018 tax return and had a capital loss carryforward then the Capital losses would have carried forward to the 2018 tax return.

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Capital Loss Carryover, click on the start or update button

Thank you for the help.  I have my previous tax return prepared by a CPA.  Is it really necessary for me to upgrade to Deluxe TurboTax in order to complete this form for loss carryover and finish my return?

I see the last post never got answered.  If you are using the Online web version you have to upgrade to Premier to enter a Capital Loss Carryover.  Or any of the Desktop programs.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies