turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold stock I held in a private company last year. They did not provide me with a 1099-B. How do I report the capitol gains in Turbo Tax?

Paid $21,000 in 1996 for 3000 shares. Sold all 3000 for $54000 last year. Capital gains of $33000.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I sold stock I held in a private company last year. They did not provide me with a 1099-B. How do I report the capitol gains in Turbo Tax?

You don't need a 1099-B to properly report the sale of a capital asset and the associated capital gain or loss.  If you look at Part II the actual Form 8949 where long term sales are reported

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8949.pdf

you can see that the only distinction between a sale reported on a 1099-B or a sale not reported on a 1099-B (your case) is that a sale not reported on a 1099-B will have "Box F" - "Long-term transactions not reported to you on Form 1099-B" checked.

In the desktop version when you start the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview one of the very first questions asked is "did you receive a 1099-B?"  If you tell TurboTax "No" here you're shunted into a slightly different interview that the regular "1099-B" interview, but the interview elicits the exact same information:

• What was sold
  • When was it sold
  • Proceeds of sale
  • When it was bought
  • Cost basis

as you'd get off a 1099-B, and puts the sale into Part II of the Form 8949 with Box F checked.

I assume the online versions of TurboTax also can do this but because I don't use "online" TT I can't give you step by step directions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies