turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eadove
Returning Member

I only received AirBnB funds due to a 3-day cancellation. I didn't plan to report it since it was less than 14 days. They sent me a 1099-MISC. Do I have to report it?

As this is my primary residence, I know that I would not report activity if it is less than 14 days of rental.  However, I don't remember getting a 1099-MISC in 2019 when I did 8 days of rental.  The unique refunding structure of how I received this money for a cancelled 3-day rental has me unsure the appropriate reporting this year though.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I only received AirBnB funds due to a 3-day cancellation. I didn't plan to report it since it was less than 14 days. They sent me a 1099-MISC. Do I have to report it?

If you don't report the 1099-MISC, more than likely you will eventually get a letter from the IRS about the missing income.  You can avoid this by claiming the rental income and reporting an expense for the same amount.  Call it something like (Adjustment for non-reportable income or similar.)  This will net to zero and you will not owe any tax on the amount received. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
eadove
Returning Member

Thanks for the help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies