turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larsonnj

I am being asked to fix an entry in my schedule E form, line 4, for Royalty Income. But I don't have any. Turbo Tax won't accept that it is 0 and keeps asking to fix.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am being asked to fix an entry in my schedule E form, line 4, for Royalty Income. But I don't have any. Turbo Tax won't accept that it is 0 and keeps asking to fix.

You can simply remove the form from the program.  Here are the steps:

1.  Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  Select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow

3.  Select Tools

4.  Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form

5.  Select Delete next to Schedule e and Continue with My Return

Royalty income are any payments you receive from a patent, a copyright, or some natural resource that you own.  The is the amount someone pays you to use your property after you subtract the expenses you have for the property. If it doesn't apply to you, you do not need to report. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am getting the same error but i do have rental income to report.  So i need to file a Schedule E form.  Is there another work around to avoid having to file by mail?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  You should be able to go to the royalty section of the return and make sure anything that might be there is deleted.  It can be in one of two places, but the following steps should take you there. it's important to continue through the screens so that TurboTax knows there should be nothing there as you step through the screens.

With your return open, search for 1099-MISC and select the Jump to link in the search results.

When you enter your 1099-MISC, enter the income in Box 2 - Royalties. On the following screen, choose the source of your royalty income:

• Investment income from property you own – This includes natural resources extracted from your property by a third party who leases your property, as well as royalties from intellectual property that you didn't create yourself. This gets reported on Schedule E.
  • Royalty income from your business, including artist royalties or operating a natural resources business (Schedule C) – This includes income from natural resources that you extract from your property as well as royalty payments from intellectual property you created as an inventor, writer, artist, and so forth. This gets reported on Schedule C.

Once you've selected the proper classification, follow the onscreen instructions.

You can also use the following steps to walk through the royalty income section:

• Select Wages and Income > Scroll to Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E) > Revisit/ Update >
  • Select Edit beside any property that is unnamed or that shows royalties > use the trash can or click delete to remove it.

It's important to clear cache and cookies, as well as browsing history on a regular basis to remove any pieces of information that should be gone.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I double checked my entries and I'm still getting this same error loop.  To be clearer on my situation, I have two rental properties that I have entered 1099MISC information for.  The only income for both is the rent from tenants and there is no royalty income associated with anything I have.  I only put information information put into box 1 and have left box 2 blank for both 1099 entries.  For some reason TurboTax keeps thinking I need to put something into box 2 for royalties but just for one of the properties.  I've deleted and re-entered the information for the 1099 that was causing the error but it is still coming up that I need to fill in the royalties box when I don't have any of that type of income to report.

I am facing the same issue.  Did you find a solution to it?

Thanks!

Carl
Level 15

Delete the 1099 from the program entirely. Then do not tell the program that you have a 1099. Instead, tell the program you were paid in cash. Then enter the amount you were paid. Take note that when you e-file, the fact you received a 1099 is not included anywhere  on your e-filed return.

If you still get the error, then there's another way (a bit drawn out, but successful) to find the error.

I tried clearing and re-entering the info a couple times without luck. I ended up just printing off my return and mailing it in.

Thanks -- I will try the options suggested by Carl and see if it would help!

yusun9

In the 1099-misc form, I cleared everywhere I entered 0.00 (i.e don't enter anything). After that I am able to finish.

Don't do this. It will mess EVERYTHING up. 

I kept trying to enter 0 in the Royalties field, and I was repeatedly told I still had an error. Try deleting the value altogether when prompted to fix the error, leaving the field blank

t8trtitz

YES!!! This solved it for me. As stated, just edit the original schedule E and clear every value that was $0.00 in every field, and that will fix this silly issue.

I ran into an issue with Schedule E in the 2022 Desktop version of the software as well. It said the "Days rented at fair rental value" had to be zero, not 365, because this is a royalty property. On the form that field was red as well as the Rental Income in Section 3, indicating an error with those fields. I double checked all of my inputs and they were correct. I finally found a fix! On Schedule E in form view I changed the property type to something else (which is a number from a drop-down pick), then changed it back. Voilà: the errors went away! I'm guessing forcing the software to recalculate the form is the workaround.

Nathan

Yes, this is what I had to do: just delete any irrelevant 0's and then it worked.  Turbotax, please fix this silly issue where entering a zero causes error messages. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies