If you're self-employed, it's likely you need to fill out an IRS Schedule C to report how much money you made or lost in your business. This form must be completed and included with your income tax return if you had self-employment income. In most cases, people who fill out Schedule C will also have to fill out Schedule SE.
We'll automatically complete Schedule C for you when you set up your self-employment work or income in TurboTax, which is usually reported on Form 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC. It gets attached to your Form 1040 which we'll also handle for you.
To set up your business:
- Open or continue your return.
- Search for schedule c and click the Jump to link in the search results.
- Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
- If you've already entered self-employment work and need to enter more, select Add another line of work.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
If you need Schedule C to report a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC, search for 1099-NEC or 1099-misc and select the Jump to link. We'll ask questions to find out if your 1099 income needs to go on Schedule C.
If your 2018 or earlier return requires Schedule C-EZ, we'll also generate a Schedule C for background calculation purposes only. It won't get filed with your return.