Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought stock and received K-1. Did not sell stock. Using TurboTax Deluxe. How to document k-1 data using Turbotax or manually?

I bought a stock (Cedar Fair, FUN) in 2021 that is a publicly traded partnership. I did not sell it. It pays no dividends. I received a k-1. Box 1 shows a loss of about $200.  This my first time encountering this form and the headaches it is causing me.  I am using Turbotax Deluxe; I cannot find the k-1 form in there to try and use the software to better navigate what exactly I need to do to (if anything, since I did not sell the stock).

I have received conflicting answers from Cedar Fair and former tax professionals/individuals (i.e. "I cannot provide tax advice", file the k-1/1065 and numerous other forms, just add a line on your schedule e, contact a CPA, hire a tax professional,  don't do anything, etc).  I even called the irs help line (don't bother, once you get to the right place, the automated voice tells you to goto irs.gov and find the answer...so ridiculous).

Some questions:

1) Do I need to include this k-1 in my tax return since I just bought the stock and did not sell it?

2) If I do need to include it, do I need just one form (e.g. 1065) that I can download from irs.gov or are there multiple forms needed?

3) If using turbotax, can I use deluxe to document this? If not, what version do I need to upgrade to?

This seems to be such a complex issue considering I just bought something.  I am considering mailing my return if I just need to download/complete one form from irs.gov (I'll print out what I have in deluxe just to end this nightmare).

I'd appreciate any advice the community could give that can help me best resolve this quickly.  Thanks in advance...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Bought stock and received K-1. Did not sell stock. Using TurboTax Deluxe. How to document k-1 data using Turbotax or manually?

To enter a K-1 you will need to be using the Online Premier version or any version of the downloaded program.

To enter a K-1 go to 
Federal Taxes Tab ( Personal in the H&B versions )
Wages and Income
Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what to work on  (if it comes up)
Then scroll way down to Business Items
 S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts.  Schedules K-1, Q - Click the Start or Update button 

Be sure to pick the right kind of K-1. There are 3 kinds, 1041, 1065 & 1120S

View solution in original post

2 Replies

To enter a K-1 you will need to be using the Online Premier version or any version of the downloaded program.

To enter a K-1 go to 
Federal Taxes Tab ( Personal in the H&B versions )
Wages and Income
Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what to work on  (if it comes up)
Then scroll way down to Business Items
 S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts.  Schedules K-1, Q - Click the Start or Update button 

Be sure to pick the right kind of K-1. There are 3 kinds, 1041, 1065 & 1120S

Thank you Critter-3. I found the section and completed the wizard prompts.  Wish I saw that weeks ago lol! It was pretty easy.

Looks like what I typed into it did not alter what turbotax calculates as my refund.  This makes sense to me, since I did not sell the entire stock.  But, since there was a -$200 business income loss in Box 1 of my k-1 1065 form, do you know if should I have seen something different?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies