Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I receive income from a lease of a small office building I own in which I am responsible (not the tenant) for all maintenance. Is this a Qualified Business Income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I receive income from a lease of a small office building I own in which I am responsible (not the tenant) for all maintenance. Is this a Qualified Business Income?

It depends.  Most rental activities will still qualify for the QBI deduction, and your material participation in this activity will likely allow this rental to be Qualified Business Income.  (I'll provide an FAQ at the end that discusses this in a bit more detail, and will help guide you if your activity does qualify; if your situation is not clear, please comment). 

But it can be a bit tricky if you are an active participant in a business activity as a Specialized Service or Trade Business.  If the rental is made to your SSTB, then the rental activity is also SSTB income, which would mean that if you are over the thresholds your QBI discount can be phased out down to zero.  

A lot can be involved with this, and feel free to comment with further questions if you need more clarification.  Here is an FAQ to provide guidance on rental income for the purposes of the QBI deduction:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7122193

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Most rental activities will still qualify for the QBI deduction, and your material participation in this activity will likely allow this rental to be Qualified Business Income.  (I'll provide an FAQ at the end that discusses this in a bit more detail, and will help guide you if your activity does qualify; if your situation is not clear, please comment). 

But it can be a bit tricky if you are an active participant in a business activity as a Specialized Service or Trade Business.  If the rental is made to your SSTB, then the rental activity is also SSTB income, which would mean that if you are over the thresholds your QBI discount can be phased out down to zero.  

A lot can be involved with this, and feel free to comment with further questions if you need more clarification.  Here is an FAQ to provide guidance on rental income for the purposes of the QBI deduction:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7122193

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies