Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I pay contractor cash, can I still claim it as expense

I hired someone to do the painting for my rental property. The contractor prefers cash. He will still give me a receipt. If I pay him with cash, I can still claim this as my rental maintenance right?

Also, do I need to give him 1099? If so how? Do I need to get his SSN? Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

Yes, but he must declare it as income. So be sure to get his SSN or EIN, and issue him a 1099-NEC.

TomD8
Level 15

[edited] The IRS rule is that you must issue a 1099-NEC to a contractor to whom you pay $600 or more in the course of your trade or business.  The IRS also says "you are engaged in a trade or business if you
operate for gain or profit." 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099mec.pdf

You must enter the contractor's SSN or EIN on the 1099-NEC.  If the contractor prefers not to divulge his SSN, he can obtain an EIN online here (there's no charge):

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You must issue a Form 1099-NEC (not 1099-MISC) to any contractor to whom you pay a total of $600 or more for the year. You must, of course, also file the 1099-NEC with the IRS. As TomD8 said, Form 1099-NEC is only for payments from your business (which includes a rental property), not for a contractor who did work for you personally, such as work on your own home. Form 1099-MISC is no longer used for payments to contractors.

If the total that you paid a contractor during the year is less than $600, you do not have to issue a 1099-NEC. You can still claim it as an expense of your rental property. Your accounting records for the rental should show the payment.

In order to issue a 1099-NEC you must have the contractor's tax ID number (EIN or SSN). To avoid problems, you should always get a contractor's tax ID number before the contractor does any work for your rental, even if you don't expect to pay $600 or more, in case you end up using the contractor for additional work later in the year.

Insist he fills in a W-9 form BEFORE you pay him one thin dime so you have all info you need to issue a 1099 at the end of the year.    https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-w-9

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Do I need to give him 1099? If so how? Do I need to get his SSN?

A. Simple answer: no. 

It became a little fuzzy under the new 2018 tax law. Landlords are, generally, still not require to issue 1099 forms to service providers.

References: http://www.forbes.com/sites/irswatch/2013/03/06/should-landlords-be-filing-1099s-for-service-provide...

Q. If I pay him with cash, I can still claim this as my rental maintenance right?

A. Simple answer: yes. But, your burden of proof in case of an audit will be a little tougher.  In addition to a receipt, it might be helpful if you bank statement showed a withdrawal for that amount in that time frame.  

very informative article.

It says:

"The basic rule is that you must file a 1099-NEC form with the IRS if you pay an unincorporated independent contractor $600 or more during a year for rental-related services."

If the contractor has his own business, does that mean I don't need to worry about it?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  If the contractor has his own business, does that mean I don't need to worry about it?

A.  No.

Taxes are complicated.  You "don't need to worry about it", but not for that reason.  

I assume you have a residential rental unit and file Schedule E. That is, your rental activity is not a trade or business and it does not qualify for the QBI (qualified business income) deduction.

Carl
Level 15

@Hal_Al the Forbes article you referenced is over 9 years old.

@SweetieJean The article you referenced states, " However, the IRS has recently made it clear that all landlords should file Form 1099-NEC."

I've looked all over, and not just IRS Pub 527. I can't find anything anywhere on the IRS website where the IRS has "made it clear". Perhaps it's clarified in 527 and I just missed it? Can you help please?

@tianwaifeixian you asked "If the contractor has his own business, does that mean I don't need to worry about it?"

You may need to worry about it. You are not required to issue a 1099 of any type to an incorporated business (exceptions apply). Most likely your contractor is a sole proprietor or LLC; neither of which is incorporated.

sorry I probably didn’t make myself clear in my last reply- I was asking if the contractor has his own company, do I still need to give him 1099-NEC. Since based on the part I copied from the article, I only need to give the 1099 for unincorporated   independent contractor

TomD8
Level 15

@tianwaifeixian --

"If the contractor has his own business, does that mean I don't need to worry about it?"

If the contractor is a corporation, you don't have to issue a 1099-NEC.

Here's an informative article on whether or not rental real estate activity qualifies as a "trade or business":

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/is-your-rental-activity-business-investment.html

If your contractor is not a corporation, I'd just go ahead and issue the 1099-NEC.  There's no penalty for doing so, and it'll serve to document the expense.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@tianwaifeixian wrote:

I was asking if the contractor has his own company, do I still need to give him 1099-NEC.

"His own company" and a corporation are two different things. "His own company" is not a precise legal term. His own company could be a sole proprietorship, an LLC, or a partnership. For any of those, you do have to issue a 1099-NEC. Only for a corporation is a 1099-NEC definitely not required. A corporation will usually have "Inc." at the end of the business name. If you have every contractor fill out a Form W-9 for you, they will indicate on the W-9 what type of organization the business is.

@TomD8 wrote:

If your contractor is not a corporation, I'd just go ahead and issue the 1099-NEC.  There's no penalty for doing so, and it'll serve to document the expense.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, particularly since you are paying cash, @tianwaifeixian

Further, make sure to get an invoice that is detailed, dated, and marked "paid".

@Carl Further on in the article I cited, it says this:

In its final regulations on the pass-through deduction [emphasis added], the IRS discusses how to determine if a rental activity qualifies as a business. It says that "taxpayers should consider the appropriateness of treating a rental activity as a trade or business…where the taxpayer does not comply with the information return filing requirements." Information returns means filing Form 1099-NEC. In other words, it may not be appropriate to treat a rental activity as a business if a landlord does not file all required Forms 1099-NEC.

This is something the IRS has never said before. So now we know: Landlords should be filing 1099s. Failure to do so is a mark against you if the IRS ever questions whether your rental activity is a business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies