Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

GDALLAIRE

Where do I enter tuition and enrollment fees. The education expenses does not let me input an amount, there is a $0.

Your answer worked! Thanks

sloopie44

Where do I enter tuition and enrollment fees. The education expenses does not let me input an amount, there is a $0.

The "turbo tax hack" where you go alllllll the way thru and hit edit in the Your Education Expenses Summary does work but this is a very almost glitchy and wonky way of entering tuition expenses. This is year 4 of entering my kids college tuition expenses and I do not recall it being this goofy to enter. It's not the streamlined, clear Turbo Tax that I've come to know. There is no clear way to enter it and the directions of This amount, which you entered earlier, includes the total amount of tuition and related fee expenses completely contradicts the actual process. Luckily, I figured I'd try hitting edit and there it was. If I hadn't, I would have been out a $5,000 credit. Pass it on to the techies please and have them fix this!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Got that, thank you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Solution:  It is no longer part of the interview process.  After you fill out all the other data in Education, stop at this page, and click "EDIT"  Then you will see the 1098-T form. Intuit Phone help got me here.  Thanks!

TurboTax Deluxe 2019.png

Using Home & Business and this is the Best Answer.  The other posted workarounds/screenshots don't apply to H&B.

Reply threading also doesn't seem to work well.  Best Answer for H&B is from "bess" to go to Forms and edit the 1098-T form directly.  Then the proper numbers show up.

S L

I am a parent with 2 children in college. I confirmed that both are set to "Whole year" living with me and that they did not support themselves for more than 50%. Yet my TurboTax still states that Tuition and enrollment fees are $0, stating I already entered this and will not permit me to correct it. What else can be causing this to error?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a scree titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to the section you want to change; tuition, in your case.

Details:

To enter your Form 1098-T information (even when TurboTax thinks it has already been entered and is showing $0), go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

To go directly to the Education section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Also see: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-form-1098-t/00/26336

Thank you very much for the tip. I did exactly what you suggested and it worked.

This works but from all the responses this should be fixed to be clearer.   I spent wayyyy tooo much time trying to put the tuition number in.  Please have programmers fix as this is just clunky and confusing and Turbotax should be embarrassed/ 

bsmith81

Hal_Al
Level 15

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to the section you want to change; tuition, in your case (click edit next to the school name).

fbopp

This explanation is very helpful, thanks, and allowed me to figure out how to resolve the "$0" issue. I would respectfully suggest that TurboTax change the pop-up information you get when you click on the link for "Tuition and enrollment fees," because the "$0" is not based on an amount that the taxpayer/user entered earlier. Rather, it is an amount that can be found and edited later in the program. The "entered earlier" language is confusing and unhelpful. Thank goodness for this forum, because the solution is counterintuitive based on the pop-up information. Thank you again.

I answered both those questions correctly and it still is showing the amount of expenses as $0 and says that I entered them previously. No correct.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@CharlesWright100 Go back through the education until you get to the Education Expenses summary and then edit. It is a long way through, keep going!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies