Here's how to get to the 1098-T screen if you haven't visited the Education section yet:
- Open (continue) your return, if you don't already have it open.
- Search for 1098t and then select the "Jump to" link or "Go to" button at the top of your search results.
- On the Your Education Expenses Summary screen, select Add A Student.
- If you get taken to a different screen, skip to Step 6.
- Select the student whose name is on the 1098-T and answer the questions that follow (the type of degree, full-or half-time, etc.)
- After you enter the name of the school, the next screen will ask if that school sent you a 1098-T. Answer Yes and proceed.
- If you've already gone past the 1098-T screen, the "jump to" and "go to" functions will take you to Now let's gather additional education expenses or a different screen. Just keep going until you reach Your Education Expenses Summary. On this screen you can either:
- Select Add A Student if you need to enter a 1098-T for someone else (and then resume steps 4 and 5 above); or
- Select Edit for the student in question, and then either the first Edit button on the next screen (to revisit the 1098-T for a previously-entered school) or Add New School to enter a new 1098-T.
Some important tips about entering this form:
- Parents: If the student listed on the 1098-T is your dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return – even if your dependent paid the tuition.
- Students: If you're not being claimed as a dependent, you can enter the 1098-T on your return regardless of who paid the tuition unless it was your employer. In that case, just keep the 1098-T with your tax records.
- Enter your 1098-T exactly as is even if the amounts are wrong (this is common). You'll get a chance to correct this info and enter additional expenses later in the Education interview.
- Leave blank boxes blank. Don't enter 0 for any blank boxes on the form, as this generates errors.