turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nanine22

How do I answer this? Your total qualified education expenses are $25,871. Enter the amount you want to use to calculate your education deduction or credit.

Wages & IncomeDeductions & CreditsHealth InsuranceOther Tax SituationsFederal Review

I am a full time college student. Dependent. This is what comes up on my screen right now with question and example below. Still confused on how to answer this.  

Amount Used to Calculate Education Deduction or Credit
USAA Federal Savings Bank
Your total qualified education expenses are $25,871. Enter the amount you want to use to calculate your education deduction or credit. For example, since the first $4,000 of qualified expenses may generate an American Opportunity Credit, you may choose to enter $4,000 in this field. The resulting tax credit may be more beneficial than the forfeited exclusion from income. Amount Used to Calculate Education Deduction/Credit is auto filled with a figure of $10,000. I have no idea what to do.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MollieB

How do I answer this? Your total qualified education expenses are $25,871. Enter the amount you want to use to calculate your education deduction or credit.

It sounds like you had a distribution from a 529 plan or ESA to help pay for your education expenses.  You can use your education expenses to take get a credit or exclude the income on earnings distributed from the education plan.  The program is allocating $10,000 of your education  expenses towards getting a credit and the rest towards excluding the income on earnings from the plan.  I think I would just leave the allocation as is.  The maximum expenses you can have towards an education credit (Lifetime Learning Credit) is $10,000.  The remaining $15,871 is allocated toward the earnings which I doubt were that high.  I think the $10K allocation is optimal for you.  

This screen just allows are users who may have lower education expenses to allocate the amount manually that may work best for them.

kjam43
Returning Member

So why does the question also  suggest to put $4000 in that field ?   Is $4000 better or $10,000 ?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies