turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct my internet bill as my school is all online

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You can deduct internet bill only if the internet service is paid directly to school and not the internet provider. If the internet service is not paid directly to the educational institution, they are not tax deductible for education purposes, unfortunately.

Qualified education expenses include tuition and related expenses. The IRS defines related expenses as: "Student-activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance".

View solution in original post

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct the internet cost as an expense, since your classroom is now virtual.

If you are a teacher, instructor, counselor, aide, or principal that works at least 900 hours in a school that provides K–12 education, you can deduct up to $250 in unreimbursed expenses for books, supplies, and equipment used in the classroom.

To enter your Educator Expenses in TurboTax:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type teacher.
  • In the results box, highlight teacher classroom expenses, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You can deduct internet bill only if the internet service is paid directly to school and not the internet provider. If the internet service is not paid directly to the educational institution, they are not tax deductible for education purposes, unfortunately.

Qualified education expenses include tuition and related expenses. The IRS defines related expenses as: "Student-activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance".

daniel137

As a teacher, can I deduct it as an expense since I am teaching virtually?  Is it different than as a student?

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct the internet cost as an expense, since your classroom is now virtual.

If you are a teacher, instructor, counselor, aide, or principal that works at least 900 hours in a school that provides K–12 education, you can deduct up to $250 in unreimbursed expenses for books, supplies, and equipment used in the classroom.

To enter your Educator Expenses in TurboTax:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type teacher.
  • In the results box, highlight teacher classroom expenses, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are a W-2 employee, you cannot deduct job-related expenses on your federal return, per the tax law changes that went into effect for 2018 and beyond.  Your state laws might be different so TT will let you enter the internet amount, but do not expect it to affect your federal refund or tax due.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

You can use the $250 educator credit---

TEACHER EXPENSES

Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Teacher (Educator) Expenses

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies