turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ehpingree

I put grad school loan interest in the fed section, but couldn't deduct. Then in my MA return, it pulled the interest but labeled it as undergrad and won't let me update.

I just can't figure out how to change those loans so they show up as grad school, not undergrad, because it doesn't ask about them in the federal section.  All I think to do is delete it from the fed section because I am not qualifying for any deduction/credit anyway due to income, and then add it manually in my MA state return.  Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I put grad school loan interest in the fed section, but couldn't deduct. Then in my MA return, it pulled the interest but labeled it as undergrad and won't let me update.

If you are seeing the undergrad box already pre-filled and greyed out so you can't edit it, but there should also be a box labeled graduate on that page.  Enter the amount of graduate interest paid in that box and then TurboTax will automatically calculate that as the amount of interest.

ehpingree

Thank you!  So are you saying just repeat the same number that they prefilled in for undergrad interest into the graduate school interest box, and TurboTax will know not to double count it?

Yes - assuming its all grad school interest
ehpingree

Perfect.  Thanks so much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies