khunt91

Do both me and my child enter information from 1098-T (scholarship/college expenses)? If they file taxes too?

Both of my children file separately but I still claim them both.  Do we both enter the 1098-T's on our own taxes?  Both have gotten scholarships that pay for all (my daughter) and almost all (my son) of their tuition.

JulieH1

No.  Only one of you can claim the deduction.

If the student:

Is under the age of 24 on Dec 31 of the tax year and:

Is enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited institution and:

Is enrolled as a full time student for one academic semester that begins during the tax year, (each institution has their own definition of a half time student) and:

The STUDENT did NOT provide more that 50% of the STUDENT’S support (scholarships/grants received by the student ***do not count*** as the student providing their own support)

Then:

The parents will claim the student as a dependent on the parent's tax return and:

The parents will claim all scholarships, grants, tuition payments, and the student's 1098-T on the parent's tax return and:

The parents will claim all educational tax credits that qualify.

If the student will be filing a tax return and:

The parents qualify to claim the student as a dependent, then:

The student must select the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's return", on the student's tax return. The student must select this option even  if the parent's qualify to claim the student as a dependent, and the parents do not claim them.

If the student cannot be your dependent, then they get the education deductions.

JulieH1

If the student:

Then:

jpappa

I paid for my daughters tuition and living expenses as a full time student in college for 2019.  She graduated in May and lived with us until end of September when she got married.   When I started my 2019 TurboTax return it determined my daughter was not a dependent since she got married.  However, I still paid all of her tuition and expenses to finish out her degree.   TurboTax is not letting me enter the tuition portion (box 1) on the 1098-T.  It says I already entered that earlier and the amount is $0 which is not correct.  How do I at least get to enter tuition costs for 2019?  Want to get as much of a deduction as I can.

Hal_Al

That is correct. Since she is not your dependent, you cannot claim a tuition deduction or credit for her education.

But, she can claim the credit, even though you paid for it.  Being married and filing a joint return, with her spouse, removes the old rule about students, under 24, not being allowed the full credit.  

Hal_Al

You may be interested in the details at this thread: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/can-i-claim-my-daughter-who-got-married-on-decemb...

If you can claim her as a dependent, then you can claim the education credit

choosybean

Yes, both of you would enter the information but only you can claim the education deduction if you claim them as dependent. 

You children would also fill out 1098T if they file because they may need to pay tax on scholarship money that's towards taxable expenses