Solved: Can I retroactively claim Educational Tax credit on 8863 forms for previous years?
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I retroactively claim Educational Tax credit on 8863 forms for previous years?

This was the first year I received a 1098-T form from my university, and I claimed the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. However, I've been in school full-time and worked part-time for several years, and I don't think I've claimed it before this year. Can I retroactively fill out 8863 forms for previous years and retroactively receive the Education Tax Credit?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 15

Can I retroactively claim Educational Tax credit on 8863 forms for previous years?

You can amend a tax return for up to 3 years from the original filing deadline to claim the education credit that you mistakenly did not claim. The American Opportunity Credit can be claimed for up to 4 tax years while you are an undergraduate student working toward a degree in the first 4 academic years. 

You said in your post you claimed the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit but you can only claim one of the credits in any tax year. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

You can amend a tax return for up to 3 years from the original filing deadline to claim the education credit that you mistakenly did not claim. The American Opportunity Credit can be claimed for up to 4 tax years while you are an undergraduate student working toward a degree in the first 4 academic years. 

You said in your post you claimed the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit but you can only claim one of the credits in any tax year. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 15

However, you cannot claim education credits if someone else (such as a parent claimed you as a dependent.
Highlighted

Answer to your question is : YES. Now you may ask another question: "how can I claim".  If you know it, it is good. If not, please note that you need to file an amendment return for that particular year (which is called 1040X).  This return you can file within 3 years.  Please note one can not claim the AOC of previous years in the current year tax return.

Privacy Settings