turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lexiing

Can I retroactively claim Educational Tax credit on 8863 forms for previous years?

This was the first year I received a 1098-T form from my university, and I claimed the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. However, I've been in school full-time and worked part-time for several years, and I don't think I've claimed it before this year. Can I retroactively fill out 8863 forms for previous years and retroactively receive the Education Tax Credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I retroactively claim Educational Tax credit on 8863 forms for previous years?

You can amend a tax return for up to 3 years from the original filing deadline to claim the education credit that you mistakenly did not claim. The American Opportunity Credit can be claimed for up to 4 tax years while you are an undergraduate student working toward a degree in the first 4 academic years. 

You said in your post you claimed the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit but you can only claim one of the credits in any tax year. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You can amend a tax return for up to 3 years from the original filing deadline to claim the education credit that you mistakenly did not claim. The American Opportunity Credit can be claimed for up to 4 tax years while you are an undergraduate student working toward a degree in the first 4 academic years. 

You said in your post you claimed the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit but you can only claim one of the credits in any tax year. 

However, you cannot claim education credits if someone else (such as a parent claimed you as a dependent.

Answer to your question is : YES. Now you may ask another question: "how can I claim".  If you know it, it is good. If not, please note that you need to file an amendment return for that particular year (which is called 1040X).  This return you can file within 3 years.  Please note one can not claim the AOC of previous years in the current year tax return.

nellienel40
Returning Member

2020 was the first time I use the education tax credit.  I use the 2019 1098T form from my university. But I went to college in 2017 and 2018 and I have those 1098T forms,  may I retro claim the education tax credit for those past years? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

@nellienel40 

You question was answered in the earlier replies in this thread.  You can still file amended returns for both 2017 and 2018. 

You cannot claim  a credit if you were or COULD BE claimed as a dependent by someone else.

The American Opportunity Credit, for your education, can be claimed for up to 4 tax years, including times claimed by anyone claiming you as a dependent.

One other item, not mentioned above: 

There's a new urban myth among college students that says they can get a $1000 from the government just for filing a tax form. For most of them, they simply aren't eligible. A full time unmarried student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. You usually must have actually paid tuition, not had it paid by scholarships & grants.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

Baseballman25
Returning Member

If i entered the wrong amount (i didn’t understand what turbo tax was asking me) and i only got back 716 can and should i amend my American opportunity credit so i can get the full amount I’m supposed to?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Uel202

How do I fill out the 8863 form?

@Uel202  wrote:

How do I fill out the 8863 form?

To enter, edit or delete Education Expenses -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Education
  • On Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T), click on the start or update button

Or enter education expenses in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to education expenses

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies