Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rutabega

If I'm a freelancer hiring another freelancer as an independent contractor, do I need to have an EIN/TIN? Do I need to pay taxes quarterly if I'm making zero profit?

I'm a freelance writer who created and is writing a webcomic and I've hired a freelance artist to draw it. My understanding was that I need to apply for a TIN/EIN and have him fill out a W-9 and then give him a 1099 at some point, but I just wanted to make sure that's correct. I also want to know if I have to file/report my earnings related to this webcomic quarterly -- chances are those earnings will be zero dollars for the forseeable future.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If I'm a freelancer hiring another freelancer as an independent contractor, do I need to have an EIN/TIN? Do I need to pay taxes quarterly if I'm making zero profit?

You don’t need to get an EIN you can use your ssn to prepare the 1099Misc.  But peopleget the EIN so they don’t have to give out their ssn.  If you paid anyone $600 or more you need to give them a 1099Misc.  But not to corporations or for merchandise. You send the IRS a copy of the 1099Misc with the transmittal summary form 1096. These are due to the person by Jan 31 and to the IRS by Jan 31 also.  Yes you should have them fill out a W9 before you pay them.  You need their ssn.

At the end of the year we can tell you how to prepare the 1099Misc using Quick Employer Forms.

If you are sure you won’t have a Net Profit at the end of the year you don’t have to send in quarterly estimates.  For SE self employment tax - if you have a net profit (after expenses) of $400 or more you will pay 15.3% SE Tax on 92.35% of your net profit in addition to your regular income tax on it. So if you have other income like W2 income your extra business income might put you into a higher tax bracket.

You must make quarterly estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:
- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits.

- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:
    90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or
  100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies