turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paul2695

I own my property outright how do I right off rent for my business which is in a separate building

I own my property outright how do I right off rent for my business which is in a separate building?

Do I have to claim the rent as income personally.

I am a DBA and not an LLC

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I own my property outright how do I right off rent for my business which is in a separate building

I own my property outright how do I right off rent for my business which is in a separate building?

"rent for my business which is in a separate building

as rent expense on schedule C. (assuming your business isn't a partnership or corporation) 

Do I have to claim the rent as income personally - explain! where does the rental income come from?

Do you mean your Sch C business is "renting" from you personally in a building you own ?   

Carl
Level 15

I own my property outright

So who is renting what, and from whom are they renting it?

Paul2695

Sorry, I thought I made it clear but I didn't think about all the details.

I own the property that my house and shop are on outright.

In the past I had a shop on the property that I owned but was making payments and handled like a home office and just made a ratio of square foot like a home office.  Utilities weren't separate.  I have separate utilities now but not sure how to right off 'rent'.  If I was making a mortgage payment I could make a ratio of square foot but...  If I have the business write a check would I have to have 1099 misc. to me personally?  To me it wouldn't seem so since it is just a DBA.  Not sure how to make this work.  I worked at getting house paid off and was able to deduct percentage of that and don't think its right that I can't have some kind of deduction now.

Thank you for your time thinking of this and replying.

Carl
Level 15

You're dealing with what the IRS referrers to as a self-rental. The IRS has special rules for that, and I'm just not familiar enough with those rules to be of any help. Hopefully, someone else can jump in here. Meanwhile, I would suggest you google "IRS SELF RENTAL" and start reading. From what I see, there's a fair number of pitfalls with that for a business the IRS considers a disregarded entity. (Your sole proprietorship/DBA/single member LLC is a disregarded entity as far as the IRS is concerned.) But I'm not knowledgeable enough on that front to even express an opinion.

M-MTax
Level 10

You can't rent property from yourself and that's what you'd be doing if you're a sole proprietor or a single member LLC. The usual way to handle this would be to set up something like an S Corp for the business and then rent the property to the S Corp. The self rental rules would come into play then but that states that the rental income is non passive instead of passive. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies