Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How do I find out if someone has used my dependent on their income taxes,

@Bradford3 If you Efile your return and someone else has used your SSN, the IRS will reject your return and tell you that someone has used your Social Security Number on a return.

Click this link for more info on What to Do if Someone Has Used your Social Security Number.

TurboTax does not have that information; you have to work with the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I do not have a dependent. Just my husband and me

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

What is your question?  

If you do not have a dependent, you do not need to claim.  

@nettiegentry62611

mms6992

I have reasons to believe that my children were claimed without my knowledge and permission. I haven't got to work and earn wages since November 27, 2019. I have been going through many identity theft problems, someone had received unemployment benefits under my name. My credit is showing I have loans. I have filed police reports but I have recently seen signs that make me believe my 2 children under 12yo have been filed. I do not in NO way believe it is the other parent "Dad". In fact I'm 100% sure it was not him. Leaning more towards brother n law/sister who NO not in anyway has has my children in their home or cared for them any! Actually spent half the year Not socializing with her. Can someone please help me understand how to find out. As I cannot file and I feel like they knew this. Also read how if one does not earn and file that one could not receive the child tax credit monthly payments. Why am I?? Help please!

@mms6992 The IRS will not tell you if someone filed a return claiming your children nor will they tell you who did it if that happened.   If you suspect tax -related identity theft:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900655-what-to-do-if-you-suspect-tax-related-identity-theft

Most important) Follow the IRS procedures for reporting a fraudulent return, documented here: www.irs.gov/uac/Taxpayer-Guide-to-Identity-Theft

IRS INFORMATION REFERRAL TO REPORT VIOLATION OF TAX LAW

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided.
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Then print and mail or fax according to the instructions. 
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper.

6-digit IP NUMBER FROM IRS

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USIRS/bulletins/2af48f0?reqfrom=share

As for getting the enhanced child tax credit for 2021---you can still get it on a 2021 tax return even if you did not have other income in 2021. Do your children have Social Security numbers?   Will they be under the age of 18 at the end of 2021?

You can go on the IRS portal and put in your information as a non-filer for the CTC payments.   If you do not get the monthly payments (which began in July) you can still get the credit on your 2021 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-non-filer-sign-up-tool

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-f...

AND....did you receive the stimulus payments for yourself and your children?   You can file a 2020 tax return for the 1st and/or 2nd EIP payments if you did not receive them.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

If someone already filed a 2020 return and claimed the children then you will not be able to e-file BUT you can claim the children and print, sign and mail the tax return.   The IRS will sort out who can claim the children.   If someone claimed them fraudulently they will face penalties and repayment of child-related credits and stimulus money they received.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ksnyder49

I need help someone used my dependent on there taxes 

@ksnyder49

Someone else claimed my dependent and my return was rejected

If someone else claimed your dependent already, then your e-filed return will be rejected.  Print, sign and mail your own return which claims your dependent.  Mailed returns are processed differently by the IRS.  It will take some time (maybe even up to a year) but eventually the IRS will contact both parties and sort out who could rightfully claim the dependent.  The person who wrongfully claimed the dependent will face repayment of refund $, plus penalties.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Got a reject on my returns saying only one person can claim a dependent. There is no other person that can claim him

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

That's unfortunate and sometimes it does happen. If your return was rejected for a dependent that was already claimed on another tax return this means the IRS does have a return that was already accepted with that same social security number (SSN) and other matching criteria such as last name and/or year of birth.

What you should do now:

1. Double check all the data, spelling of last name, year of birth and the SSN.
  2. If anything is incorrect, make the necessary change and resubmit your tax return again. If it rejects again, keep going.
  3. Prepare your tax return for mailing to the IRS, the return will never be accepted with this dependent on your tax return.
  4. Gather all documents (social security card, medical, dental, daycare and/or school records) that show this dependent at your address
  5. Sign your tax return and include a copy of the documents you gathered together to prove your right to claim this dependent
  6. More information can be found at this IRS page: What to do if someone fraudulently claims your dependent

@crispers65

someone filed my dependent on their taxes 

Hal_Al
Level 15

If someone else claimed your child inappropriately, and if they file first, your return will be rejected if e-filed. You would then need to file a return on paper, claiming the child as  appropriate. The IRS will process your return and send you your refund, in the normal time. Shortly (up to a year) thereafter, you'll receive a letter from the IRS, stating that your child was claimed on another return. It will tell you that if you made a mistake to file an amended return and if you didn't make a mistake to do nothing. The other party will get the same letter you did. If one of you doesn't file an amended return, unclaiming the child, the next letter, from the IRS, will require you to provide proof. Be sure to reply in a timely manner.

Winner gets the tax benefits; loser gets to pay the IRS back with penalties and interest.  The custodial parent almost always wins. The IRS goes by physical custody, not legal custody. The non-custodial parent can only claim the child as a dependent if the custodial parent gives permission (on form 8332) or if it's spelled out in a pre 2009 divorce decree.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies