Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is form 8990 required for my business filing? I am very small ~ 10K- no interest expense. It is a C corp with two owners and turbo is saying I have to complete 8990

Business is all cash and has revenue of about $10k per year

Have used this product many years and not had this problem till this year. 

There are 2 shareholders in this business, so clearly at least one has more than 20% control. Does that mean the business is a "pass through?"  

But in any case the revenue level is a small business and it known by turbo tax. In addition there is no interest expense (also known by TurboTax) should override the trigger for form 8990?

Thanks for any help on this.
-----------
Thanks for response. I am sure 8990 is not needed and I am going to press on and see if I can get turbo tax to accept efile without it.  And since form 8990 is "scanned and attached" turbo tax probably doesn't know if it is really the 8990.  If I am correct that I don't need it, then intuit needs to do some cleanup on this issue
-------------
turbotax created some sort of 8990 based on my file - I don't think it is required, but I went ahead and attached it. I got response that IRS had accepted it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Is form 8990 required for my business filing? I am very small ~ 10K- no interest expense. It is a C corp with two owners and turbo is saying I have to complete 8990

Form 8990 is brand new for the 2018 tax year, so you would have never encountered this line of questioning in the past. I have not run through the 1120 recently, but I would assume the program would not require you to file it since you would obviously be excluded. 

Since it's new, you may have to complete just to get the exclusion.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Ashby

Form 8990 is brand new for the 2018 tax year, so you would have never encountered this line of questioning in the past. I have not run through the 1120 recently, but I would assume the program would not require you to file it since you would obviously be excluded. 

Since it's new, you may have to complete just to get the exclusion.

Go to schedule B Item 10 and answer Yes. Now the form is not needed
Exclusions from filing. A taxpayer is not
required to file Form 8990 if the taxpayer
is a small business taxpayer and does not
have excess business interest expense
from a partnership.
dickpodolec
Returning Member

I have a specific problem and need to speak with a person to solve it. Id that possible now?

dickpodolec
Returning Member

How can I reach an agent who can answer a question I have.?

What # can I call?

@dickpodolec wrote:

How can I reach an agent who can answer a question I have.?

What # can I call?

Ask your question here and someone should be able to help you.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies