Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Will I get the third stimulus check?

@whited2 According to the IRS this will most likely delay processing of your tax return significantly.  They should work it out eventually, though.  But you will need to be patient as this could take up to 6 months.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

can i amend my return 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@whited2

If your return has been transmitted and rejected by the IRS, you can correct your tax return and re-transmit.

If your return has been transmitted and accepted by the IRS, you can amend your Federal 1040 tax return.

Amended tax returns are expected to be available February 24.  See forms availability here.

The qualifications for the third stimulus payment are:

• you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2021,
  • you were not a dependent of another taxpayer’s 2020 tax return, and
  • you have a Social Security number.

There are income limitations are if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 if filing as a single or as married filing separately. 

If you did not receive the third stimulus payment, you may receive that amount through a Recovery Rebate Credit found on line 30 of the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return.

Kay385
Returning Member

How do I could I get my third stimulus payments

@Kay385 wrote:

How do I could I get my third stimulus payments

Complete your federal tax return and the question will be asked about the 3rd stimulus payment.

My 2020 income was too high to qualify for the third stimulus check but my 2021 income wasn't. I imported my 2020 tax return information when I started my 2021 tax return, so TurboTax should know this.

Nevertheless, on my 2021 return TurboTax insists that I qualify to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit, and the only way around it is to say that I did receive the third stimulus check.

Why is this? Is it a bug, or is it possible to qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit based on my 2021 income?

P.S. This should have been a new topic but I couldn't figure out how to start a new topic, so I'm doing it as a reply to the topic that seemed most relevant. 

How do you start a new topic in this forum? Please make it more obvious how to do so.

@judy_judyjudy wrote:

My 2020 income was too high to qualify for the third stimulus check but my 2021 income wasn't. I imported my 2020 tax return information when I started my 2021 tax return, so TurboTax should know this.

Nevertheless, on my 2021 return TurboTax insists that I qualify to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit, and the only way around it is to say that I did receive the third stimulus check.

Why is this? Is it a bug, or is it possible to qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit based on my 2021 income?

The Recovery Rebate Credit of $1,400 for tax year 2021 is based on your 2021 Adjusted Gross Income for your filing status.

@judy_judyjudy  Good news.  YES you can get it now.  It is really based on 2021.  They just used 2020 to send the checks out fast.

If you didn't get the full 3rd Stimulus payment in 2021 based on your 2020 income or qualify for more, you will get it on your 2021 return line 30 Recovery Rebate Credit if you qualify based on your 2021 income.  See IRS question 2 here,

2021 Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic C: Eligibility for claiming a Recovery Rebate Credit on a 2021 t...

Yay! Thanks for your prompt reply. 

For future reference: How do you start a new topic in this forum? Please make it more obvious how to do so.

Kay385
Returning Member

So how can I receive my stimulus payment 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

If you didn’t get your full third stimulus payment, you may be eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2021 tax return.

To claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. After entering all your information click "Search" at the top right and type "Stimulus".
  2.  Follow the jump to link (if you do not qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit the stimulus questions will not come up). 
  3. On the screen "Let's double-check the amount you received" you will be asked about the amount of third stimulus payment you received. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get. 
  4. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as The Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of Form 1040.

To be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit you need to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2021 and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.

You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else to be eligible. 

Your credit amount will be reduced if your 2021 adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above. (IRS FAQ Recovery Rebate Credit )

Please see What are the eligibility rules for the Recovery Rebate Credit? for additional information.

If you didn't get the first and second stimulus payment then you will have to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return.

@Kay385

The third stimulus is based on 2021 income only. 

after filing my federal taxes i should have received 2800 stimulus but irs said there ws an error and we did not receive the stimulus I tried getting in touch with irs but could not 

@JM135

LOTS of people have made mistakes this year with the recovery rebate credit by "forgetting" that they received the $1400 per person stimulus checks last year.  They answered no to the questions for the  recovery recovery rebate credit and put the $1400 per person on line 30 of their returns.  But you cannot get it twice, so the IRS removes it when it is there by mistake.

Try checking your online account with the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Does the IRS show that you received a $1400 per person stimulus or EIP check in 2021?   Did you receive it?   When you were asked on your tax return did you say no?   Was there $2800 on line 30 of your tax return?

If the IRS says you got $2800 last year but you did not receive it you can have it traced.

LOST THIRD STIMULUS CHECK

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies