turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Correcting Contractor's 1099 Electronically

Hi, I am self employed who also paid an independent contractor. I use the Quick Employer Form to generate 1099-MISC. There was a typo in the last name of the contractor, which I somehow missed until it was accepted by the IRS. 

The IRS website indicates I can file a "CORRECTED" with same information with $0 for amount, then file new 1099-MISC with form 1096. Can this be done electronically? I only have 1 contractor and I would rather no deal with having to order forms etc. 

I know QEF does not support correction but I found another form filer that supports correction even if it did not originate there. 

Can I just file the "CORRECTED" electronically, effectively zeroing out the contractor's income. Then file 1099-MISC online again with the correct last name? Or does all this have to be paper? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you found another form filer that supports electronic correction, you can file electronically. Below is the process to fix the payee name according to IRS Publication 1220 (Specifications for Electronic Filing of Forms) (PDF, page 23).

Alternatively, you can just file on paper.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

I know that for a W-2, so long as the first four characters of the last name are correct, what comes after doesn't matter and a correction is really not necessary for a simple one character type - so long as it's not any of the first four characters. I don't know if that holds true for a 1099-MISC, but I would expect it to.

I wouldn't worry about it if the ssn is correct.

How can I correct a Form 1099 or W-2 that has already been sent and accepted by the IRS or SSA?

QEF does not support corrected forms at this time. Once the original e-filing is accepted:

To file a corrected W-2, go to the SSA website and file the corrected form, W-2C electronically. You can also use the IRS website for forms and instructions.

To file a corrected 1099, use the IRS website forms and instructions for corrections.

From the QEF faq https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com/faq.htm#CorrectForms

Thanks. SSN is correct, everything except the third letter on the last name is correct. I accidentally typed the wrong vowel. 

Thanks. It's the third character that's off on the last name. 

I would not bother doing a correction for this form as it doesn't matter. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies