turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

patrick2

As an LLC business owner, my state (AZ) does not require 1099-MISC submitted. Do I need to provide my contractors with a state copy of their 1099-MISC?

As an LLC business owner, my home state of AZ does not require 1099-MISC to be submitted. My contractors live in other states. Nothing was withheld from my contractors' wages. 

I will send Copy B of 1099-MISC to my contractors. 

However, the TT print-out does not specify whether the "Copy 1 for State" was intended for me, the Payer, or the contractor.

Do I need to provide my contractors with the "Copy 1 for State" of their 1099-MISC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
maglib
Level 11

As an LLC business owner, my state (AZ) does not require 1099-MISC submitted. Do I need to provide my contractors with a state copy of their 1099-MISC?

is the contractor an individual or incorporated? Federal laws require you to send 1099Misc still.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc_17.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc_17.pdf</a>... state may not require one but the Fed rules still apply.  Don't worry about the state as long as you send IRS version.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

He was only asking if he needed to generate and distribute the state copy Copy 1
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
patrick2

Thank you for the quick reply! I added some details:

However, the TT print-out does not specify whether the "Copy 1 for State" was intended for me, the Payer, or the contractor.

Do I need to provide my contractors with the "Copy for State" of their 1099-MISC?

Yes - the contractors are individuals.
maglib
Level 11

copy 1 is for you to keep.  As long as no state taxes were withheld, you are good. As Scruffy said, you still may want to send a copy to the contractor.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Given that TTax H&B automatically can generate all copies from the Form 1099-MISC, and since the Federal copy is electronically transmitted, and given that AZ likely shares reported income with the IRS, you do your subcontractors a favor by giving them a copy so that they have an accurate record of the filing.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
patrick2

Thank you for the quick reply! I added some details:

Do I need to provide my contractors with the "Copy 1 for State" of their 1099-MISC?

If AZ does not "require" that you provide that copy, then that is the answer - not required. BUT as said, as a courtesy you might consider doing it.  Realize that the Federal electronic submittal will have already occurred as you printed the paper copies, and AZ likely synchronizes income reported with the IRS so you are not exposing the contractor to any more reportable income, but simply giving them a heads-up

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time

Copy 1 goes from you to the state if required.  There is a Copy 2 to give your contractors for state but Turbo Tax doesn't print the copy 2.  The contractors don't need to attach any 1099Misc to their federal or state returns so one copy is really all they need.

Here's the instructions.  See last page about state
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc_17.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc_17.pdf</a>

Again, the question is not on which copy, but rather that since AZ does not require submittal (it uses info from IRS), OP wants to know if he/she still should have copy to contractor.

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time

And he's asking about copy 1 specifically.  No he doesn't give Copy 1 to the contractor.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies