Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lovtogolf

Is anyone experiencing problems with entering schedule A deductions? I downloaded the latest update this morning

I was made aware that this problem was to be fixed by January 17.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is anyone experiencing problems with entering schedule A deductions? I downloaded the latest update this morning

Workaround works...but yeah TTX needs to fix the underlying software problem.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Which exact ones in particular?

Medical Expense entries have a known issue in the interview when a Supporting Details worksheet carried over from a 2017 file.  When that is the case usually a zero ( "$0" instead of just  "$" ) shows up on a particular entry line....but there is a workaround for that.

Other deduction areas may have a similar problem, but it's for somewhat random entries.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
lovtogolf

Real estate property taxes and medical expenses are examples.

Assuming you are using the Desktop software to attempt these entries (not the Online browser-based software)

1) Medical expenses have an issue, where you cannot make a direct entry if "$0" shows on an interview entry line...You can try to click in the box an then go up to the menu and click on <Edit<Add Supporting Details and a Supporting Details sheet  "might" show up where you can either enter your details, or hit the red "X" to delete the sheet entirely, and then enter a number on the main interview in the normal manner. .............. IF..IF that doesn't work on that same pages, switch to Forms Mode and a Medical expenses worksheet will show up where you can enter your $$ amounts directly..or delete the Supporting Details sheet or perhaps actually use the Supporting Details worksheet ( some people lie to enter each of their prescriptions separately on that worksheet...others just want to use a total.)

1)  Similar issue with the Property Taxes entry  (but be careful..if you entered a property tax payment on the Mortgage/1098 entry, don't double it on the Property Taxes line.  But similar to # 1, try the <Edit<Add Supporting Details or switch to Forms Mode to clear out the Supporting details sheet.
lovtogolf

Thank you for your response. I had also switched to forms mode and was able to enter deduction $$ amounts for those deductions that I was unable to enter; mainly property tax and medical expenses. Hopefully Intuit will fix this issue so that other individuals will not have the same unnecessary experience that I went through.
jlove010

Thanks for the information, I am having that same problem with medical and property tax. I am going to try the mentioned solution, hope it works.

Workaround works...but yeah TTX needs to fix the underlying software problem.

Please help!  I am having trouble entering doctors fees on Schedule A.  There is a 0 in purple entered there that I can’t get rid of. 

Thank you!!!  Clicking on the box and adding supporting information worked. 

@Dandelion  

(Only if you are using the desktop software on Windows...would also be on Desktop MAC...but I'm not sure of the procedure there)

1)  Really?  Purple?  maybe more of a red or pink?   

Rt-click on the number in Forms Mode....and then select Cancel Override form the pop-up menu.

2)  Or is the whole box blue when you click in the box in Forms Mode?  In that case, you are in the wrong spot for making an entry...you do not make your own entries directly on the form, you need to go back to the interview and enter all your potential medical deductions on the Deductions&Credits page in the Medical Expenses section....and follow the interview.

Something else?  Call Customer Support & let them help you on the phone:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Ahhhhh  Supporting Details !!

(I can hardly tell what color that one is when it is in-play)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies