turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

extonms

Do I put the total wages of employees as an expenses or under "Cost of Labor" under "Cost of Goods Sold"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do I put the total wages of employees as an expenses or under "Cost of Labor" under "Cost of Goods Sold"?

Cost of Labor

extonms

Thanks!

Carl
Level 15

If it's wages for W-2 employees,it should already be included in the section for reporting employee wages. So you would not enter it a 2nd time anywhere else on the return as that would be double dipping.

If wages for subcontractors to whom you did "NOT" issue a 1099-MISC, then you can include it as cost of labor in the COGS section.

If you issued a 1099-MISC, then you were already asked earlier in the program for 1099-MISC wages paid and you entered an amount, , then you do not include that amount a 2nd time anywhere else on the return.

@Carl wrote:

If wages for subcontractors to whom you did "NOT" issue a 1099-MISC, then you can include it as cost of labor in the COGS section.

Wages are payments made to an employee by an employer; not to subcontractors. 

Regardless, if payments made to subcontractors are $600 or more then, with limited exceptions, a 1099-MISC is required to be filed.

Further, if the labor costs are tied directly to the production of goods, they can be factored into the cost of goods sold equation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies