turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bsylvia73

Do I have to file an amendment? Stubhub is sending the MA DOR a letter and myself stating the amount of payments I received, but no official 1099K.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Do I have to file an amendment? Stubhub is sending the MA DOR a letter and myself stating the amount of payments I received, but no official 1099K.

It depends.

If you have correctly reported the amounts received from your records and they are compatible with the amount mentioned in the letter, then there is no need to file an amended return.

If, on the other hand, you now realized that the amount you have reported as business income is wrong and does not correspond to the amount reported on the letter, then you'll need to file an amended return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bsylvia73

I didn't report any business income prior as MA is making their lower threshold retroactive.  So I need to utilize Turbo Tax Self Employed for this amendment now?  Is this letter enforceable, and does it pose an audit risk for MA? The profit was $500 on $6,500.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you did not report this income, you'll need to amend your tax returns (federal and state). This letter is proof that you received the income (unless you can prove otherwise). To amend, please follow the instructions in this TurbpTax FAQ:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565</a>
bsylvia73

Even though it is not an official business, rather just myself buying and selling does it count as a business transaction and income?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

What did you sell for that amount?
bsylvia73

I sold event tickets. My cost of tickets was 6,000 and my sales were 6,500
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Selling event tickets for a profit is considered as a self-employed business. The income of $500 is taxable and subject to self-employment tax. You need to report it.
bsylvia73

Got it thank you!! And I must upgrade to Turbo Tax Self Employed version to be able to input my cost of inventory?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes.
bsylvia73

It seems like this retroactive change in MA is going to affect a lot of people.  It's easy to hit the $600 threshold for Ebayers!!

No matter what state you live in, you are required to report income from online transactions (on your federal return, and state if your state has an income tax). MA just has a lower threshold for the transaction processor to provide a 1099-K.

(For anyone else who comes across this thread, a one time transaction is not necessarily a business. If you made a profit on items you sold but are not running a business, you could report the profit in the Miscellaneous Income section, as "Other Reportable Income".)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies