turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will TurboTax reflect any changes in my return once the IRS updates my unemployment income? If not, how will I know once that has been done?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will TurboTax reflect any changes in my return once the IRS updates my unemployment income? If not, how will I know once that has been done?

No.  The IRS doesn't update Turbo Tax.  But if you log back into your Turbo Tax Account it may update and show the new refund.  But they might have stopped doing that.

There's no way to track the IRS.  Just keep waiting.  The IRS is sending them out in batches over the summer.

See IRS article May 14, 2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

And see,

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-sending-more-than-2-point-8-million-refunds-to-those-who-already-pa...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Nothing the IRS does ever gets reflected on the return in the TT program automatically.  You would need to make the changes yourself if you need to change something else.

The adjustment is done separately, and refunds will take several weeks (or months) to send out.  See this:

IRS to recalculate taxes on unemployment benefits; refunds to start in May | Internal Revenue Servic...

No.  The IRS doesn't update Turbo Tax.  But if you log back into your Turbo Tax Account it may update and show the new refund.  But they might have stopped doing that.

There's no way to track the IRS.  Just keep waiting.  The IRS is sending them out in batches over the summer.

See IRS article May 14, 2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

And see,

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-sending-more-than-2-point-8-million-refunds-to-those-who-already-pa...

you probably should not change your return for the UC adjustment. if you do the AGI will change and will not match the original return which WILL create e-filing problems for the 2021 return.

Thank you for the reply, but I hadn't planned on making any adjustments myself.  I was going to let the IRS do that.  My question was only if TT would reflect those updates once the IRS completed the update on their end.

No----TurboTax never knows about changes the IRS makes to your tax return so nothing will change in your TT account as a result of a change made by the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies