Solved: Will I still get my refund if I forgot a w2?

martez2015

Will I still get my refund if I forgot a w2?

I just received a W2 that I forgot to put on my taxes that I have already filed. The error actually decreased the amount of my refund significantly. I know I need to file a 1040x but will I get the portion of the refund I did file for in the meantime?

bluedeb

You may get the original amount from your filed return. The IRS gets copies of all W-2's. When they match your return to the information you entered, they may send you a letter asking for the missing  W-2.

You should wait until your original return is fully processed (refund received) before you amend. If the IRS does not notify you and you receive your original refund then you need to amend your return.  Amended returns must be mailed.

bluedeb

tlthomas95

Did you receive your refund?
Care00

Did you end up getting your refund? I have the similar situation this year. I received a w-2 for $400 that I forgot was coming but I already filed and was accepted. Just wondering if I should expect a delay in my refund. 

LindseyLO

You will need to amend your return. Help with doing so has been provided for you below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

Care00

I know I need to amend but will the irs delay my original refund?

AshleyLO

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for concerns about a delayed refund: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/will-amending-delay-my-original-tax-refund/01/26660#...   @Care00

imeldamora1

Did you ended up receiving your full refund before amending ? 

imeldamora1

I wonder the same 

DavidD66

@imeldamora1  If you forgot to report a W-2 on your return, and you have already filed, it's too late to make changes to your return.  There is a chance your return could be rejected by the IRS, in which case you can add the missing W-2 before re-submitting your return.  If your return accepted, the income and tax withheld on your return will not agree with what has been reported to them by your employers.  In this case, they will add the missing information to your return, and recalculate your taxes and send you a letter for proposed changes.  If you agree you won't have to do anything.  If you disagree you will have to respond to them.