turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I still get my refund if I forgot a w2?

I just received a W2 that I forgot to put on my taxes that I have already filed. The error actually decreased the amount of my refund significantly. I know I need to file a 1040x but will I get the portion of the refund I did file for in the meantime?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You may get the original amount from your filed return. The IRS gets copies of all W-2's. When they match your return to the information you entered, they may send you a letter asking for the missing  W-2.

You should wait until your original return is fully processed (refund received) before you amend. If the IRS does not notify you and you receive your original refund then you need to amend your return.  Amended returns must be mailed.

View solution in original post

34 Replies

You may get the original amount from your filed return. The IRS gets copies of all W-2's. When they match your return to the information you entered, they may send you a letter asking for the missing  W-2.

You should wait until your original return is fully processed (refund received) before you amend. If the IRS does not notify you and you receive your original refund then you need to amend your return.  Amended returns must be mailed.

Did you receive your refund?

Did you end up getting your refund? I have the similar situation this year. I received a w-2 for $400 that I forgot was coming but I already filed and was accepted. Just wondering if I should expect a delay in my refund. 

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to amend your return. Help with doing so has been provided for you below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I know I need to amend but will the irs delay my original refund?

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for concerns about a delayed refund: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/will-amending-delay-my-original-tax-refund/01/26660#...   @Care00

Did you ended up receiving your full refund before amending ? 

I wonder the same 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

@imeldamora1  If you forgot to report a W-2 on your return, and you have already filed, it's too late to make changes to your return.  There is a chance your return could be rejected by the IRS, in which case you can add the missing W-2 before re-submitting your return.  If your return accepted, the income and tax withheld on your return will not agree with what has been reported to them by your employers.  In this case, they will add the missing information to your return, and recalculate your taxes and send you a letter for proposed changes.  If you agree you won't have to do anything.  If you disagree you will have to respond to them.

Val00

I have the same situation. What happened in your situation. 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

If your return is rejected you can add the missing W-2. If your return is accepted by the IRS you will be able to amend it, however, wait until you receive your refund to amend.  For information on how to amend your return please click the link below.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you've already filed

I forgot a small w2 and I’m freaking out I am totally relying on my refund to get me through the next couple months and I forgot a w2 will I get my refund that I’ve filed for!?!? Everything is accepted the irs has accepted what I filed I am just waiting on the edge of my seat!! 

@Juddthweatt37

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.  The IRS does not allow you to take it back.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I will do just that! It was years ago I had to file a 1040x but I forgot what happened as far as my original refund I do know the irs always changes but I feel I got my refund then after receiving my refund I had to file an amended 1040x I’m just a worry wart who jumped the **bleep** gun !!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies