turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bsigsbury

Where do I deduct taxes paid this year on a previous year's return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the taxes you paid this year related to a prior year was for Federal income taxes, there is no deduction on the current year return and that amount is not entered anywhere on the current year return.

If the taxes you paid this year related to a prior year was for state or local income taxes, and if you are taking a deduction for state and local income taxes paid as part of your itemized deductions on Schedule A (rather than the standard deduction), you can enter those prior year state and local income taxes as part of your state and local income tax deduction to be included on Schedule A.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If the taxes you paid this year related to a prior year was for Federal income taxes, there is no deduction on the current year return and that amount is not entered anywhere on the current year return.

If the taxes you paid this year related to a prior year was for state or local income taxes, and if you are taking a deduction for state and local income taxes paid as part of your itemized deductions on Schedule A (rather than the standard deduction), you can enter those prior year state and local income taxes as part of your state and local income tax deduction to be included on Schedule A.

ayavari

I meant on a C-corp. Can we deduct taxes paid to IRS 2018r be deductible this year 2019?

Thank you,

ayavari.

On a C-Corp you cannot deduct the taxes paid. 

I have excess taxes paid for 2018 which I applied to 2019.  Where do I put that credit on the 2019 return

@stuballwas5679 wrote:

I have excess taxes paid for 2018 which I applied to 2019.  Where do I put that credit on the 2019 return

To enter, change or delete a refund from the prior year applied to this years taxes (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the options under 2018 Refund Applied to 2019

Or enter refund applied to this year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to refund applied to this year

On my 2018 form 1040 a had a large excess of taxes which I credited to 2019.  Where do I apply that amount on my 2019 1040?

To enter, change or delete a refund from the prior year applied to this years taxes (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the options under 2018 Refund Applied to 2019

Or enter refund applied to this year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to refund applied to this year

Anonymous
Not applicable

be careful!  if you e-filed 2018, used TT, and are in the same a/c for 2019 TT should have picked up the overpayment and reflected it on the carryforward worksheet. this amount would then be included on schedule 3 line 8

if you print the carryover worksheet or save it as a PDF. it will be on page 3 on line 28.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies