Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Where can I get the 15 digit trace number from the IRS refund

Turbo Tax would not have the trace number because we do not issue the refunds.  This comes from the IRS.  Did you get the deposit date of March 30th from the IRS?

If you chose to have your fees deducted, you can check with Santa Barbara Tax Products Group to see if they deposited it.
https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230418728-What-s-the-status-of-my-2019-refund-

https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

@Luvlepeech

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Luvlepeech
Returning Member

Ok, so my refund was deposited on March 30th. The first IRS agent I spoke with gave me the routing number used. The second IRS agent gave me the last 4 of the bank account that was used. TPG stated neither the account number OR routing number match what they (TPG) have for me. TPG stated I needed to contact the preparer, preparer being TurboTax, to request the account info that was given to the IRS. TurboTax had to give the IRS an account to send the deposit to and here is the problem 

Luvlepeech
Returning Member

Any resolution? Apparently the IRS and TPG have different account and routing numbers, but TPG is insisting  I need a trace number, but the IRS seems to be oblivious to where to find a trace number 

userJa

• I need my 15 digit trace number to help my bank recover money they didn't receive.
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to contact the IRS directly, by clicking this link,

When calling the IRS do not choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.      
1. After first choosing your language, then do not choose Option 1 (refund info).  
2. Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
3. Press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".      
4. Press 3 "for all other questions.
5. Then press 2 "for all other questions
6. When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.      
7. After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
8. Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
9. It should then transfer you to an agent.

For more information, please see the following IRS link: Refund Trace

Luvlepeech
Returning Member

Hi, I'm not sure why they are still telling people to call the IRS for the 15 digit  trace  number, you will need to call the department of the treasury at 18003331795

.  I went around and around with TPG and Turbotax Tax for 3 weeks last year, on the phone for several hours out of every day, only to figure out the IRS does not issue funds, The Dept of the Treasury does.  Got the 15 digit trace number after only a 2 minute phone call.

Luvlepeech
Returning Member

@userJa You will need to call the Dept of the Treasury to get the 15 digit trace number.  Every agent from Turbotax and TPG will tell you to call the IRS, THEY DO NOT HAVE IT!!!!  You will have your 15 digit trace in less than 2 minutes on the phone with the rep.  It took me 3.5 weeks last year back and forth with Turbotax and TPG...and PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM, were useless.  [phone number removed] is the Dept of the Treasury's number

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the IRS website for information on how to trace your refund. Turbo Tax will not know this information as we are not a bank and we do not issue refund 

checks. We can only guide you to where to go for assistance.

IRS.GOV

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies