turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Martin1922
Returning Member

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

The 1040X was NOT ready on March 25th as stated by expert NashLO. Its now supposed to be ready by end of March ?  Does that mean March 31st or April !st ? 

Also what is the difference between the IRS accepting your return and processing it . My return was accept Feb 16th and my tax payment was processed  (deducted from my bank account on March 2nd )  Does that qualify as the IRS finally processing my  return so that I can now amend my return whenever the 1040 X issue is resolved by IRS or Turbo or whoever ?

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

They probably did not process the balance due return yet however if it has been more than 3 weeks since the return was accepted for processing then you can amend the return anytime now.  

@Martin1922 wrote:

The 1040X was NOT ready on March 25th as stated by expert NashLO. Its now supposed to be ready by end of March ?  Does that mean March 31st or April !st ? 

Also what is the difference between the IRS accepting your return and processing it . My return was accept Feb 16th and my tax payment was processed  (deducted from my bank account on March 2nd )  Does that qualify as the IRS finally processing my  return so that I can now amend my return whenever the 1040 X issue is resolved by IRS or Turbo or whoever ?

The 2020 federal amended return, Form 1040-X, was available in all TurboTax editions on 03/26.

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Amended and accepted! It works.

osterwald

When will I be able to file 1040x through turbotax

osterwald

I Have e-filed my 2020 return and payed income tax on unemployment benefits. Now unemployment benefits are not taxable. How do I file an amended return to get my taxes back. 

@osterwald wrote:

I Have e-filed my 2020 return and payed income tax on unemployment benefits. Now unemployment benefits are not taxable. How do I file an amended return to get my taxes back. 

You do not have to amend the 2020 tax return for the taxes withheld.  The IRS will handle the unemployment exclusion and send you a refund for the taxes withheld starting in May.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

What do I do if I am trying to change from dependent to independent on my 2020 taxes that have already been accepted but TurboTax won’t let me

So Turbo tax made the 1040x ready but surprised to find I had to mail it as I was under the assumption it would be electronic

Not all amended returns can be efiled ... there are restrictions.  What did you change? 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

For the time being, because of the confusion caused by making some unemployment nontaxable well after the start of tax season (normally, all these changes are finished by December 31st), if you have unemployment insurance income on your return, TurboTax is blocking you from amending even if your reason is actually something else.

TurboTax and the other software vendors are working with the IRS to try to minimize the "mess" that this situation has created. I assume that the IRS has asked vendors to not allow amendments until the IRS is able to get the unemployment refunds out starting in May. Otherwise, we'll have refunds and amendments crossing paths in total confusion.

Do you have unemployment insurance income on your original return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have unemployment on my tax return but not trying to change anything about that...I accidentally claimed someone else can claim me and thought if no one did I would be independent so trying to amend to say no one can claim me...would my best bet be to mail in a 1040x?

PH65
Level 1

I have filed my federal return and paid $700 in taxes that were owed prior to tax law changes reducing my income by $10,200. When I use the amend button and go through everything it shows $0 owed and does not list or show a 1040x form. It just asks if I want to electronically file. Should a 1040x form be included in the electronic filing and when it gets sent with a $0 return does the IRS automatically return my previous payment made? 

@PH65 

STOP ... DO NOTHING MORE.  DO NOT SEND IN AN AMENDED RETURN.   The IRS will be making the corrections on the  already  filed returns for the Unemployment  correction and will take into consideration any payments made.  This is slated to happen sometime in May so just sit tight and wait.   

To stop folks from amending too fast the amendment program has been suspended which is why you don't see the 1040X ... the IRS requested this to keep their system from being overwhelmed by unneeded filings. 

If you save a PDF of the return and look at the corrected 1040 you will see the program has already taken care of the reduction for you ... there was nothing you needed to do at all.   LOOK at line 8 of the Sch 1 to see the UCE reduction.   Then look at the 1040 line 34 or 37 to see the correct bottom line.  If you made a payment then factor that into the equation.  

PH65
Level 1

Thanks! @Critter-3 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies