turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmd3061

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

its April 21, 2021 and  the 1040x is still not available.  I have already filed, and it was accepted and I received my refund.  So, basically its just the form that is not available. any news out there when it actually will be available?

J-Bug
Returning Member

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

I filed in March and then a few days later found another W2.  Between the time that I discovered the error and waited for the 1040X form to be ready they announced the unemployment refund and instructed everyone that is expecting a refund NOT to amend their returns.  I feel now I am in a pickle.  I NEED to amend to add the W2, but I also need to NOT amend in order to get my unemployment refund.  Is there a time when the unemployment refund will be coming?  Is there a date by which I need to add the new W2?  Are there penalties involved?  How long after the tax filing deadline can I wait to amend?

Thanks.

It is now late April (4/23/21) and Turbotax still says the amended return is not available yet?

When is this going to be available? 

I was accepted for my 2020 taxes when I did those I did not realize that I had to amend my 2019 taxes now I haven't received any stimulus check money nor have I received my own personal tax refund for 2020 and I'm just wondering if that has anything to do with me not amending my 2019 taxes

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

No.  2020 is stand alone.  However, processing returns has been experiencing delays.  IRS is now ramping up the 2020 tax return processing now that the issuance of Stimulus payments is underway.!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chalian34

It's now May 10 and I need to amend to pick up K-1 income by May 17. Any word?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The amend is available. If you are using the desktop, you need to update your software . If your program is not allowing you to amend, did your original efile get accepted? If it was rejected, you can't efile an amended as it would be the original.

@chalian34

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
delrin22
Returning Member

I spoke with IRS and was told I need to file IL1040X with the tax preparer or program that I used to file. Why do I.  keep getting a response from TURBOTAX that its not available ? I was also told there are other things that needs to be corrected on my SCHEDULE NR. I need to speak to Live Support  how can I make this happen PLEASE HELP!!!

delrin22
Returning Member

I have filed and received my refund back in March what is the problem on amending. IRS says it is available 

I got tired of waiting for Turbo Tax - providing me the opportunity  to file a 1040X.  So I went to the www.irs.gov web-site and retrieved the 1040X form which you can fill-in online. , . . .  filled it out (it was very easy), saved it, printed it and already mailed it in (with my check).

The only caution, . .   keep a copy of your submitted 1040 that you e-filed, make the changes (using the current version of Turbo Tax) for the new 1040, print it and fill-out the 1040X and mail it in.

I wanted to get DONE with Tax season - NOW.  

Returning Member

I have tried several times and it is still a mess.

Returning Member

Thanks, already found out that things are not working well at all.

@530 wrote:

Thanks, already found out that things are not working well at all.

An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

If I already filed my amend  2020 by mail can I still send it electronically

NO ... do not try to efile if you have already mailed in the amended return.  Doing so can delay the process even longer then the 6 + months it will already take this year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies