turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cdecks88

When mailing my 1040X amended return, do I need to mail my original 1040 with it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
Kadian

When mailing my 1040X amended return, do I need to mail my original 1040 with it?

No, you don't have to include the original return. 

According to the IRS:

"When filing an amended or corrected return:

• Include copies of any forms and/or schedules that you're changing or didn't include with your original return. To avoid delays, file Form 1040X only after you've filed your original return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
  • Allow the IRS up to 16 weeks to process the amended return."
kaykay3
Returning Member

I amended my 2018 return today March 7th, 2020, because my second child (dependent) was omitted from the original tax refund application.

The issue now is that I had mistakenly mailed the 1040X with 1040, EIC. ACTC forms to the IRS.  Because when I printed it on TurboTax, it printed the 1040X with 1040, ACTC and EIC. So, I mailed them all to the IRS for refund.

What is the way forward?

Should I resend the mail by sending only 1040X alone? I can see the 1040X is just 2 pages.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please do not resend anything. If there are any issues the Internal Revenue Service will send out a letter detailing what steps need to be taken.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kaykay3
Returning Member

for the future of amendment purpose, am I supposed to mail only the 2 pages of 1040X?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes. TurboTax  guides you through printing and mailing your 1040X along with any required attachments. Three weeks after mailing your amendment, you can start tracking it at Where's My Amended Return? on IRS.gov. 

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? - Community

I am filing an amendment, and rather than guiding me through what to print, it just gives me the entire 49 page document to print. It says to "choose 'All official forms required for filing' to print out your amended returns and filing instructions," but I do not see that in the print menu. Any suggestions? I'm inclined to print and send any form that has the changed number on it.

Thanks.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

You can use the link provided below to reach out to someone directly to get assistance from someone to walk you through the printing section:

Turbotax Customer Support

Did you get a answer to this? Would like to know if I just mail in 1040x Two pages. Or do I mail all the pages that turbotax made me print out. Thank you

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

No. You will only need to mail your amended return and any forms or schedules that were updated. Please make sure your original return has been processed fully before you amend it. 

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? - Community

What do you mean by processed fully? I scheduled my payment for April 10, and I wonder if I should wait to send the amendment until after that date.

Thanks!

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I meant you can't amend an e-filed return that's in pending or rejected status. But if your refund has been accepted, it is then ok to file the amended return. Please review the following article for more information. 

You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

I am confused about how to assemble an amended 2018 return. When I go to print my amended return, i get

1 - instructions page

2 - 1040-X

3- 1040 (with corrected numbers, NOT the original return)

4 - relevant schedules.

Do I include the Form 1040 with the corrected numbers to Form 1040-X?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

You do not need to include the Form 1040 with the corrected numbers unless you are instructed to do so after filing your amended return.

Please see the following excerpt from the instructions on what you may need to include with your 1040-X.

1040X assembly instructions

I am amending my 2020 tax returns because I forgot to include a 1099-G for family leave benefits.  Do I include the 1099-G form with my 1040x or do I just mail in the 1040x?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies