Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

When mailing my 1040X amended return, do I need to mail my original 1040 with it?

You only need to include the 1099-G if it shows any tax withholding. 

@Msamusic

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When mailing my 1040X amended return, do I need to mail my original 1040 with it?

Thank you!  So Then if that is the only change, do I only need to mail the 1040X?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The only items they ask for are supporting copies of source documents that reflect a change on the tax return that you originally filed and resulted in the 1040X. 

Assembling amended return

Drew35

Question I had filed my state and federal return way to early. I had gotten a 1099-g form and I was wondering where do I put the income of that on a 1040X? Or how do I amend that form? 

Drew35

So if I have a income from unemployment compensation and I had federal and state withheld from my checks for my taxes where would I put those totals on a 1040X amend form if I didn’t put them on my federal and state tax? 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

After you click on the link to amend your tax return, Federal and state taxes withheld from unemployment payments may be entered in box 4 (Federal) or box 11 (State) of the screen Now fill in the rest of your 1099-G details.

This is the same screen where unemployment compensation from box 1 is entered.

In TurboTax Online, access unemployment by the following:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Wages & Income.
  • Under Your income, scroll down to Unemployment and paid family leave (1099-G).
  • Click on Review or Edit/Add to the right.
  • Follow the screens to Now fill in the rest of your 1099-G.

See also this TurboTax Help.

Drew35

So where do I put it on a 1040x form?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Drew35

The links below will show you how to amend and how to add your 1099G.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave?

Still unclear....  Yes, that's what the IRS says BUT the original 1040 is one of the forms that is changed.  So it still isn't clear whether or not to include 1040 with 1040X.

Flavian  j
Returning Member

How do I find the 1040 x in he Turbotax software?

Go to "forms" and search for "1040-X.  Or you could use the "Walk through" section and look for "Other tax situations- Other Tax Forms."

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.

granj2022

Were you able to recieve your refund for the Missing child credit ? 

Would sure be nice if TurboGlitch didn't print out all the unneeded pages wouldn't it?  This should be submitted as a BUG.

From the print menu, if a person chooses "RETURN ONLY" then THAT's the only thing they should get.

can tell me how to form 1040x for 2021 returns the one that done them last year mess my returns up had i was self-employed witch I wasn't and have my earns wrote they put more than what i told them to claim 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies