Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved a cp21b stating i will be getting a check in 2-3 weeks. It's been 5 weeks and still no check. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

I recieved a cp21b stating i will be getting a check in 2-3 weeks. It's been 5 weeks and still no check. What do I do?

What if I don't receive my refund in 2-3 weeks?

If you don't owe other taxes or debts we're required to collect, such as child support, and 3 weeks have lapsed, call the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp21b-notice

Did you ever received your check? If so, how long did it take?

I also received a refund notice but never got a check. It's been six months, I had forgotten until I went to do my 2019 taxes. Cannot reach anyone on phone b/c reduced staff levels. Am considering reducing my payed taxes for 2019 (now due July 15) by 2018 refund due, just need to see whether this is legit and if there's some sort of form to fill out to make sure it's all accounted for properly.

xuenanxu

Hello! I’m having the same problem, so wondering how did yours turn out? I received a cp21b Nov 2020, and still didn’t receive my refund yet.

Thill3

How do I know if this lrefund is for my initial tax return or my amended return, which is supposed to be for a lot bigger refund due to claiming a dependent?

Until you have the check in hand you will not know for sure however  if you had not gotten the original refund BEFORE  you sent the amended return it is most likely the original refund.  Amended returns should never be sent before the original refund has arrived and  amended returns are taking 6 months or more to process right now.  

dtat1017
Returning Member

I tried calling the number in the upper right portion of CP21B. but didn't get any response.  The notice shows we are both owed $4485.00 and the notice was sent on 8/8/2021.  We haven't received our refund.  

I am having the same issue and we received our notice on 8/9/21. Curious, if we will actually receive a refund or not. I have tired calling multiple times and when i try to use the where is my refund at on the irs website it doesnt tell me anything or says the info is incorrect. 

i have to change my accounts at the bank meanwhile my refund was not placed in the account i still didn't get my refund what is the next step . i was waiting for a check to come in the mail.

@Busdriver-13 You cannot change banking information with the IRS after you file your tax return.   If your refund goes to a wrong or closed account then the refund will be sent back to the IRS.   The the IRS will issue and mail a check to the address on your tax return.

Only the IRS can tell you what has happened with your refund.   TurboTax cannot track it or find out about it.

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I received my CP21B dated July 26, 2021 indicating my husband and I would be receiving a refund and it should be mailed in 2 to 3 weeks. Where’s my Amended Return shows it was completed on August 6, 2021. Still haven’t received our refund. Have tried to call the IRS number listed In the corner as well as the main number multiple times since then and always end up being told by the recording due to high volumes they can’t take my call at this time and to try again later or the next business day even though I call first thing in the morning. So I guess pretty soon if it doesn’t show up we will have to fill out the form to track a lost payment. Was going to do that with the Child tax credit because we didn’t receive the first one in July but then in August we received the second with a $100 tacked on to it. So instead of giving us the whole payment for July along with August they decided they would just add $100 to the next 5 payments. So nice of them to decide this for us. Would have rather had the whole payment for school clothes and supplies. So who knows what they’re doing with amended tax returns even though it said they would send out in 3 weeks and obviously aren’t from these posts. 

Florida88

I received the notice on July 26 as well. No refund yet. Almost impossible to get ahold of them. Been calling here and there and I get the same recording to try again next day due to high call volume. 

Finally got through just about an hour ago.  Currently on hold as they check the status. I will update with any relevant info.

sammarkle

I received a notice CP21B on June 28, 2021 stating that I was due a refund for my 2020 taxes. The refund check was to be expected in 2 to 3 weeks. o check has arrived. Please advise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies