turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

liuzhf

Unusual situation - unable to amend state return

I have already e-filed both my federal and state (California) return for 2018. Later I found that I missed entering a 1099-B. I made 2 mistakes after I found I there's an error.

1. I didn't know how to amend a return in Turbotax at that time, so I immediately modified my return, and that changed my return and refund amount. (I don't think this is the key of my mistakes)
  2. After googled, I knew that I need to use the built-in amend function to do that, so I did so. Once I started the amending process, I realized that I shouldn't modify the return before I started the amendment. I didn't know how to cancel the amending, so I switched to the forms mode (from the upper-left corner) and manually deleted 1040x (for federal) and schedule x (for California). (I believe this is the key of all the mess I have right now)

After done these steps (I also deleted the 1099B I added in step 1), I thought I've fixed everything, so I started amending my return by using the built-in amendment function. But after I finished my amendment, I only found 1040x in my new federal return/amendment, and there's no schedule x in my new state return.

Let's say I've gotten my return $2000 from federal and $2000 from the state, but I should only get $500 from each because of the missed 1099B. In my new federal return, I have a red $1500 which is correct; but I see a white $500 in my new state return and there's no schedule x. The new state return looks just like a regular return which I believe is wrong.

I tried to redo everything, but I still got the same result. I believe that is because I ever manually deleted the schedule x in the forms mode and that polluted the data file? But how can I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Unusual situation - unable to amend state return

If you saved a copy of your original return, you should start a new amendment using a fresh copy.  If you did not save a copy of your original return, you should re-create your original return (you may need it some day, anyway) and then save the new "original."  Make a copy and amend the copy, not the original return.

Here's how to Amend My Return in TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies