turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax19 won't open on Mac

I was almost done with filing my taxes, and then the program shuts down, and now I cannot open the TurboTax19 program on my macbook. I have the correct operating system ( I double checked). When I click the application it seems like it will open and the "install updates" pops up for a second, then quickly goes away. I have tried uninstalling and installing the program twice now. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies

Just uninstalling the app will not do it - there are many files that need to be deleted.

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2019 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks...unfortunately, that did not work. I tried it twice even...

I am having this same problem as of this morning and have also uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times now and still it won't open.  what do we do?

@sdbradford68 wrote:

I am having this same problem as of this morning and have also uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times now and still it won't open.  what do we do?

Have you done the total uninstall?    Exactly what happens - any message?

Make sure that your user is an administrator account.

What Mac OS version is your Mac on?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

yes on total install and working on my 4th time in doing that and am about to throw it out the window, so frustrated.  No error message, i click on the application, it swirls for a few seconds and then goes away and nothing opens at all.  MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please use this link for assistance with opening Turbo Tax 2019 using MAC:https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/turbotax-for-mac-won-t-open-when-installed/00...

*there is also an "alternative" link included, this option seems to be the most successful. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i'm having the same issue.  I've spent over 50 hours between apple and turbo tax with no luck.  i've used turbo tax for over 20 years on a pc with no issues.  i think its an issue on TURBO tax side.  i'm at a loss what to do next.  i'm so frustrated and disappointed in turbo tax. 

i've done both of these steps and it is still not working

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact customer support for assistance. Follow the instructions below.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Community 

Look at my account. I’ve called 4 times. Don’t insult me with a response like this. An acceptable response would be we will continue to investigate why the 8 of us in this chain have had this issue. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@ginatadams 

I am sorry, we are not able to see your account information. A phone agent can, they should be able to further assist you if our troubleshooting methods are not working for you. 

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301592

I am having the same exact problem as well.  Called support, deleted many times and reinstalled with no luck.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@Samdasilveira Please reach out to us immediately via this link so that we can assist you with troubleshooting this issue. 

Hi all!  I am having the same issue and have been on with Turbo Tax support for an hour.  It appears that Turbo Tax 2019 will NOT work with MacOS Catalina and this is what is making Turbo Tax crash.  Apparently if you purchased your software directly from Turbo Tax there is a way to convert to the online version and file.  However if you downloaded from anywhere else, you cannot.  And if you downloaded to file for up to 5 returns, you cannot - you will have to pay for them all.

The rep I spoke with was unable to assist beyond that, so I am reaching out to Apple to see if they can get Intuit to roll out the needed update to get the software to work on the OS.  Will add an update if I hear anything.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies