Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

The IRS incorrectly made changes to my tax return that reduced the amount of my refund in the amount of $1,200

If you have questions about an offset, contact the agency to which you owe the debt. You may also contact the IRS directly by clicking the following link: How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

For additional information, please see the IRS link below under the topic "Why is my refund different than the amount on the tax return I filed?"

IRS Frequently Asked Questions

@KittyKay

S3ymour

The IRS incorrectly made changes to my tax return that reduced the amount of my refund in the amount of $1,200

This is also happening to me.  I’ve triple checked all my info is correct and my return went from 7904 down to 4400.  This is either an IRS error or a TurboTax error as based on this info: The Social Security number of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent was missing or incomplete. The last name of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent does not match our records. One or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent exceeds the age limit (my oldest is 13). Your adjusted gross income exceeds $75,000 ($150,000 if married filing jointly, $112,500 if head of household)(I’m married filing joint with gross income of $76,000). The amount was computed incorrectly (doesn’t make sense as the amount of my return was consist with prior years before the adjustment).  The most frustrating part is you call the number and use the referenced info and it just plays a message that due to high call volume for this you should try again another day/time.  

On the IRS notice the only thing that applies to you will be the last bullet point ... the IRS considers incorrect stimulus credit on line 30 and the CTC on line 28 to be "math" errors on the return and the TT program is totally dependent on the user's input as to how much of the advance stimulus and CTC payments they got from the IRS.   If the IRS disagrees with what you entered then they will adjust the return which will reduce your refund. 

If you disagree with the IRS on the stimulus amount paid then you will have to initiate a trace on the missing payments ... this cannot be argued on the form 1040 or on the phone.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

That’s exactly what’s happening to me and I’ve given up calling.

I am having this exact same issue this morning---all of the same error messages. What are you doing about it? I also tried calling but got disconnected due to "high volume of calls". This is so frustrating. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@KittyKay

@tiredmomtx

You might try to get through to the IRS by using the following instructions below:

RS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM, local time 

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@tiredmomtx  @KittyKay  

Double check your bank accounts and check both your IRS accounts if married to see when and how much the IRS sent you.
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

For the 3rd Stimulus (Recovery Rebate Credit) on line 30

If you claimed a missing stimulus payment on your return but the IRS took it off you have to ask the IRS. They think they already sent it to you. Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

Request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

IRS Child Tax Credit questions
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-t...

I guess where I'm confused is that I input both mine and my husband's relief payments (totalling $4200, on line 30 of our return) and TurboTax estimated our refund to be a certain amount.

However the IRS amended our refund to be exactly $4200 less despite me having entered the information correctly. Am I missing something or misunderstanding?

Yes.   You already got the 4200, right?  You tried to claim it again.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more.   Turbo Tax said you were eligible for 4200 and asked if you got it.  You needed to say yes or enter the amounts you did get.  You should have each got a letter 6475 for half of it.  

I guess I'm just confused. I entered in all the amounts we received where prompted, perhaps it was an oversight on my part? Oh well. Super bummed now!

Hello,

Thank you for providing all the IRS contacts but to be honest you rather win the lottery instead of getting someone on the call. I have the same problem as many others in this topic. I see that my payment is already scheduled for March 21st but its almost half of what TT was calculating. I got the same reason: Recovery Rebate credit, dependent SSN or last name, AGI and etc. The thing is that I have a newborn and I don't know which one exactly applies to us. Is there something that I can do at this point (no that the payment is scheduled) to get the full amount calculated by TT?

Thank you,

VInce

So, you file your income tax correctly using Turbo Tax.  Then IRS makes adjustments to your refund because Turbo Tax system has a glitch which many people seem to have experience, but Turbo Tax will not honor the error.  Turbo Tax people tell you to contact IRS and will block you so, you don't call them again which is an indication that they know about the error.  IRS can't seem to help because they are too busy. 

I do wonder what is going on here?  Turbo Tax should take responsibility as their system has a glitch.  I paid to do my income tax and trusted that if something went wrong,  Turbo Tax would correct.  Unfortunately, I did not get an expert to verify my taxes, but I trusted that the system was correct.  I verified the taxes and even printed my returns.  I used Turbo in the past (over 3 years ago) and never had issues, I believed it was trust worthy.  I can't say that it is today.  I don't know if I will use them again, but I am honestly disappointed in how they have managed this whole situation.  Too many people experiencing the same thing.       

@Yolysands 

I absolutely agree with you, TT needs to do better and look into this. Too many of us got disappointed with the amounts we thought we would receive and did not. On top of that I paid TT $117 to file according to the refund I was intended to receive. So after this, I think I’m done with using TT.

Was anyone able to contact IRS via phone? I am trying for the past 3 days using the phone that was given to me when I am checking my refund status including all extensions and etc. and I tried the phones listed in this forum. NOTHING WORKS! TT is saying contact IRS, IRS is saying we are not picking up phones. 

Please someone who is skilled and /or works for TT let us know what we can do. Non of the 4 reasons listed by IRS are valid for us. 

Respectfully,

Vince

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If you did not receive $1,400 for the third stimulus payment, the IRS may think that you were already issued the third stimulus payment.

At your IRS online account, you can find whether a payment was issued to you that you did not receive.  You can also find this information on your tax transcript.

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

@tiredmomtx

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies