Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The account number is missing a digit on my direct deposit information. How long will it take to receive a paper check?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
JerryS

The account number is missing a digit on my direct deposit information. How long will it take to receive a paper check?

Once your return is accepted and your refund processed it will take about two weeks for your refund to attempt to be deposited by your bank.  If the account number does not pass the validation test by the IRS the IRS will send you a paper check.

If the account number passes the validation test and the IRS sends the funds to your bank the bank will typically reject the deposit and return it to the IRS.  After that it will take the IRS one to two weeks to process your refund and send it to you by paper check.

If it is an active account, most banks will match the check name with the account number and reject tax refund direct deposits that do not include the account owner's name.  However this is not guaranteed.  It is best practice to contact your bank and let them know of the issue.

If your financial institution has accepted your funds and did not return them to the IRS then you will have to initiate a trace.  The IRS will contact your bank and attempt to recover your funds.  You will need to wait for two weeks after your return was processed.  Once the two week period has passed you will have to file IRS Form 3911 and file it according to the instructions. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3911.pdf

It is important to note that timing does not include the additional wait period for taxpayers that are claiming the Earned Income or Child tax credits.  IRS does not start processing those returns until 15 Feb 2017.

The best way to track the status of your refund is at the "Where's My Refund" link on the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

@1955debster  what was the outcome

How long would it take or what can I do for this problem 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

The IRS asks you wait 4 weeks after you mail your return before looking up your refund at Where's My Refund?

When will I get my IRS tax refund

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How can I change my account number

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

The IRS is setting up a portal where you can enter your bank information to receive the Stimulus Payment as a direct deposit.  

Economic Impact Payments  

Currently this portal is not available, it is expected to be available soon.  Keep checking the website for updates. 

I'm trying to put a trac on my check. It was mistaken by IFHD Child Support division. I file injured spouse form. Once the 

IDHSCHILD SUPPORT

THR CHECK WAS SENT BACK around a month ago and I still haven't received it. I'm worried that the same thing is going to happen again 

Ii can give you thr correct nub

Account # [social security number removed] and an account [phone number removed]number 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

My bank account number is missing one number how can I fix it

@777769

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.  The IRS does not allow it.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies