turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes accepted but not received

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

If you efiled, does this tool confirm that your return was accepted?

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

If so, then what do you see at the IRS website below for the status of your Federal refund?
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

If that IRS tool shows that the refund has been sent, but you didn't receive it, report back for more info.

If the IRS tool says it is still "being processed", and if it's been longer than 21 days, we can tell you how to speak to a live agent at the IRS to see if they can tell you anything about the delay.

To track a state refund:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

Millgull

I have filled out my taxes with turbo tax, able to see the federal and states amount that I would receive on the app, but i havent received anything. I searched through the links given in the answer, it says that unable to find and IRS has no record of it!!
Somethings wrong here.

@Millgull wrote:
I have filled out my taxes with turbo tax, able to see the federal and states amount that I would receive on the app, but i havent received anything. I searched through the links given in the answer, it says that unable to find and IRS has no record of it!!
Somethings wrong here.

Millgull:

You need to check to be sure the returns were successfully filed.   You didn't say what product you used, but I'll assume you used Online TurboTax or the Mobile App as opposed to the desktop software (CD/download).

Did you efile the returns, or did you print, sign, and mail?  

If you efiled, did you go all the way to the final screen and click an orange button "Transmit My Returns Now"?  If so, you should have received a couple of emails, the first saying the return had been submitted, followed by a later email telling you if it was accepted or rejected.  You should have also received an email in regard to the state return.

If you efiled the returns, what does this tool show--does it show accepted, rejected, or no result found?

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

Also do this:
Log in to your account using Online TurboTax.   At the Tax Home page, what is shown for "Return status"?  Does it say accepted, rejected, printed, started, or ready to mail?

Millgull

Hi,

I did use mobile app. 

I think I filled out and done whatever was asked.  

Tap on the option button top left shows the both Federal and State refunds amount.

I use that tool search by my social security number and zip code, shows "No Result"

On the Apps home page, Return Status is "In Progress".

Shob
Level 1

My tax e-filing, both state and federal were accepted on Feb 5. I did receive my state refund on Apr 10. However I haven't received my federal refund and whenever I check the status is always "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available". 

I received mail from IRS on 29 Mar, 25 May, 05 Apr, almost all of them stating "No action needed from you and return is under review".

Why federal refund is taking such a long time, while state refund was credited back in April?

Thank you!

@Millgull wrote:

I did use mobile app. 

I think I filled out and done whatever was asked.  

Tap on the option button top left shows the both Federal and State refunds amount.

I use that tool search by my social security number and zip code, shows "No Result"

On the Apps home page, Return Status is "In Progress".

Uh-oh.  A 2018 return status of "in progress" means you are still working on the 2018 return and haven't actually filed.  You can double-check and confirm that status by signing in with Online TurboTax through a browser.   With the Mobile App you can use either the App or a browser to access Online TurboTax.     The status of "in progress" fits in with the fact that you find no evidence of an efiled return when you use that efile status check tool.

After paying for your product you may have not continued to the final screen where there is a big orange button "Transmit My Returns Now."   After a successful efile, one should have gotten 2 emails--one that the return had been submitted, followed by a later one about whether it was accepted or rejected.

If you wish to efile, you can go back into your return and go to the FILE section to finish efiling.   You may wish to walk through the REVIEW section first to be sure everything is still in order.

Shob wrote:

My tax e-filing, both state and federal were accepted on Feb 5. I did receive my state refund on Apr 10. However I haven't received my federal refund and whenever I check the status is always "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available". 

I received mail from IRS on 29 Mar, 25 May, 05 Apr, almost all of them stating "No action needed from you and return is under review".

Why federal refund is taking such a long time, while state refund was credited back in April?

Shob:
Only the IRS will know what all they are doing with your return.  I can tell you how to talk to a live agent at the IRS and also how to contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service if necessary.

Here's how to reach a live agent at the IRS:

800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It might transfer you to an agent at that point.   If it doesn't, but instead asks for you SSN, do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred.

I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you don't get good info/results from the IRS, you can contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate for your area.   They are especially prone to help if you have a hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

Shob
Level 1

Thank you for your quick response. My employer messed up my SSN in W2 and provided me W2-C. I did include both of them while filing Federal and State tax returns. I received "Refund Verification" from State and once I provided the details they had asked, I got my state refund. However IRS haven't asked anything of that sort so far but keep on delaying.

@Shob 

Hopefully when you phone the IRS, they can explain what all they are doing with your return.    If you don't get satisfactory results, I also left info above on contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for assistance.

There saying my taxes was accepted May14,2020 but I yet to receive my money. Why is that. ???

The IRS is taking longer this year due to Covid-19.  

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Manage cookies