turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax refund

Update: it's almost December and I still have not received my tax refund. I am unable to get through to an agent when I call them as well. Please let me know if there is any way I can know why my tax refund is delayed.

I have filed my tax on the 10th of April and I still haven't received it. When I check the status it says 'Your tax refund is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available'. Is there some problem with my tax return? Or is this normal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

Tax refund

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review.   As of October 9, 2021, we had 7.1 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Tax refund

That's normal this year.  You have to keep waiting.  Did you have an amount on line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit?   The IRS is reviewing forms with line 30.

Tax refund

In don't have anything in that field. 

Tax refund

Same here. Now is Jan 7, 2022, still not receive my tax refund of 2020. Efile in March 09, and accepted by IRS in March 09.  Checked Where is my Refund online monthly from June to December, 2021, status always "still being process" . But in Jan 3, 2022, check the status again with correct data, the message returned wss "can't provide any information about your refund". Don't know what happened and no way to talk to real person in IRS. THis is really frustrated.

Tax refund

The IRS Where's my refund lookup might  have changed over to 2021 returns.   Just keep waiting.   It's taking the IRS a very very long time to send refunds.

Tax refund

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully that was the reason. I thought IRS might have a database corruption after the New Year.   I feel that having a refund status of "still being processed" is much better than "can't provide any info for your return", which will put you in panic mode.

Tax refund

I do have an amount on line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit as my income was lower in 2020, compared to 2019. Is that the reason the refund taking Sooooo long?

Tax refund

Yep ... all those returns had to be checked by a human which are in short supply this year.

That WMR? tool  has been changed over to the 2021 tax year so you will no longer get updates on the 2020 return. 

Check your account transcripts instead :  

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If it has been shown up to now on the refund site then you know the IRS has your return and they are working on it.   

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

TAX ADVOCATE

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

There are millions of 2020 tax returns that still have not been processed by the IRS.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of December 10, 2021, we had 6.2 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns with errors and those returns requiring special handling such as those that require correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. The IRS is having to correct significantly more errors on tax returns than in previous years. The IRS has reduced the number of returns requiring special handling from an historical high of 9.8 million on May 1, 2021 to the current level of 51,000 individual returns as of December 10. If a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free refund returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Tax refund

Many thanks for your response! Now I am not quite follow how to go to the "refund site" as mentioned in the information listed below.

"Check your account transcripts instead :  https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If it has been shown up to now on the refund site then you know the IRS has your return and they are working on it.   "

=>1)  I clicked the link you provided. It goes to the IRS website.

2) Log in into my account, don't see anywhere has the "refund site" to know the refund status.

3) Clicked on the "Tax Record" from the menu,

4) It shows 2020 Return Summary

5) Click on "Get Transcripts " button on the right,  it displays "This service will be unavailable due to system maintenance. "

Please advise how to get to the "Refund site". Thanks

Tax refund

The Where's My Refund?  tool is only for the current year 2021 returns ... any prior tax year will no longer be available to check.   Since you know the IRS is working on the return then all you can do is wait.  If you want you can check your account transcript (when available)  or  call  (good luck getting thru)  or  contact a Taxpayer Advocate (also difficult).  

Tax refund

Please clarify...

I checked the IRS FAQ, a Q and A are posted regarding to the "Where's my refund" tool as below,

IRS’ FAQ: Can I use Where’s My Refund? to check the status of a refund on a prior year return.

Where’s My Refund? will display the status of your most recently filed tax return within the past two tax years.

Per the answer above, the tool is good for the 2020 tax refund as well. Please clarify.

And am I the only one who run into the issue that the tool returned the refund status of "can't provide any information.." Thanks.

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Tax refund

@vairocana The refund tool will show the refund status of your most recently filed return, so it will show the status of your 2020 tax return, until your file your 2021 return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax refund

Thanks for the clarification!

Now I am in trouble then, for your reference, back to my very first question as listed below,

"Now is Jan 7, 2022, still not receive my tax refund of 2020. Efile in March 09, and accepted by IRS in March 09.  Checked Where is my Refund online monthly from June to December, 2021, status always "still being process" . But in Jan 3, 2022, check the status again with correct data, the message returned was "can't provide any information about your refund". Don't know what happened".

What might be the problem then? What should I do now?

Tax refund

That happens a lot with the Where's my Refund page.  Don't worry about it.  They have your return and are still processing it.  It's taking a very very long time.  Millions are still waiting.  All you can do is keep waiting.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies