Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dowensiii

Tax Refund - Santa Barbara Tax Group - Tax Products Group

I didn't have to do anything special - other than wait. I will use TT again - but I will pay up front. If you pay up front it will go straight into your acct. from the IRS. No more SBTPG for me

Refund processing is optional and terribly overpriced.  Even if you don't have a credit card or bank account, you can get your refund and pay your fees for about $5.  But Turbotax has a legal right to offer the service at any price they choose, and customers who want the convenience or don't have time to investigate options can accept or decline it.  The fee is clearly disclosed (see pic).

Also, last year someone hacked SBTPG and stole a bunch of refunds, so it is probably not a bad thing overall if they are being more careful this year.  (Which is another reason not to use the service.  You don't hire a babysitter without checking references do you?  Why hire a bank on blind faith?)

The problem isn't the hold,  it's the disappearing funds and no way to free them.

In regards to any refunds on hold with Santa Barbara Tax Products Group (SBTPG), please read through the following FAQ and contact SBTPG by the number indicated. We will always provide the option for our customers to pay for the product fees up front. The pay-up-front option will eliminate the cross-check with SBTPG and any additional fees.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5209136

Hello everyone im sorry to hear all of this happened to you all however i had a smooth process last year but this year i am experiencing the same issue as you all stated tpg is holding my refund and saying there sending it back to irs did anyone ever eventually receive there money after it was returned to the irs?

It is 02-25-2020 and i checked my status on the Santa Barbara website today and it showed they received my funds and it showed all the proper amounts of fees i owed and needed to have deducted and then an hour layer when i checked the status it showed the amount they received which was the correct amount but it only showed them giving me HALF of what i was suppose to receive after fees. My return went from over $8000 to $4000!!?? Now their website says its down. Can anyone explain what the heck ia going on and how they can keep half of my return without my consent!!??

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Two of the reasons your tax return could be on hold are: 

• An incorrectly entered bank account number in your direct deposit information. Learn more
  • Using a bank account that belongs to another person. Learn more

This article will provide a more detailed explanation for you. Please look below.

Why is my federal refund on hold with Santa Barbara Tax Products Group (SBTPG)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nroukey

I am also dealing with this. I cant believe this. how did you finally talk to a person at sbtpg? and how long did they hold your refund ? This has to be the shadiest thing ive ever dealt with. Im never using turbo tax again either!

flyroy

I have now this situation with TPG where they have held up my huge refund amount with no explanation of what 'suspicious activity on my account means' and no recourse. There is no one who answers the phone at their two phone numbers they list on their website and TurboTax who hired these SCAMMERS is REFUSING TO HELP.  Very soon I'll have no choice but to go to down the legal path.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@flyroy are you contacting them at the numbers listed here

flyroy

Yes Madam, all the numbers there plus these numbers 

[phone number removed]

[phone number removed]

There is no person behind any of those phone lines, same exact recording and options in each and it forces you to enter the social, zipcode etc and then says the same things the email says, your account is on hold. I had received 4 automated emails on Feb 26, March 1, March 2 and March 6 asking me to upload my govt id front and back to [removed] and I have complied with their unusual request and actually uploaded the highest possible resolution pics of them all 4 times. They just take it and disappear and nothing happens after that. I have spent hours with TurboTax resolution desk trying to escalate but to no avail. TurboTax and this Scam Tax Products Group is leaving me no choice but to go the legal route. IRS issued the money on March 3rd, its a very large amount and I'd wait till Monday and then take action. This has given me a huge mental strain as well and hours and hours wasted.

I’m having the same issues. Corruption at its finest. Why should I be surprised us government and money laundering tru this lame ass TPG. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You can try contacting them using this link.

Contact Santa Barbara

Count me in on any class action.  TurboTax needs to separate from these crooks.  They are withholding my refund claiming "fraud" on my account - I don't have an account with them.  They have no customer service, no ability to speak with a live person, and they are holding my refund with NO NOTICE to me.  I only found out where my money was because I contacted the IRS.  This is incomprehensible, and it cannot be legal.  

This comment is completely useless.  Neither of these "reasons" for them to withhold my return apply.  There is also no customer service number.  All I can do is send a blind email and wait, apparently.  This is despicable, especially now that I see it's gone on for years.  Shame on me for not paying in advance as I have always done, but shame on you for offering this option when you know this bank is not above board.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies