turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I haven't received my refund, its been over 10 weeks, I've tried tracking it through the IRS, but it can't give me any information. What do I do now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

119 Replies
Michelena

I haven't received my refund, its been over 10 weeks, I've tried tracking it through the IRS, but it can't give me any information. What do I do now?

Since it has been so long, you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for status on your return. Follow these steps to speak with a live agent.

Don’t select Option 1 for refund that will just take you to an automated response, instead:

- Choose Option 2 (Personal income tax)
- Then press 1 (Form, tax history, or payment)
- Press 4 (For all other questions)
- Press 2 (For all other questions)
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  After is asks twice, you will get another menu
- Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions, it should then connect you to a live person but be prepared for a long wait time.

Hope this helps!

It has been 11 weeks for me and still no refund.  I followed instructions above but immediately received a response when dialing the 800 number that due to high call volume they cannot answer at this time. Is there any information on why delays in refunds this year or another way to talk to some one?  Thank you!
Julie1202

We have received any information on our return.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you been tracking your refund through Where's My Refund?. The IRS "continuing to process tax returns, issue refunds and help taxpayers to the greatest extent possible." Please refer to the following link for an update on what's happening.   

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-assistance-center-statement  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have not received my federal income tax return and I had this very same issue last year with TurboTax. I will be looking for another tax service for next year. This has inconvenienced me especially in this time of uncertainty with the pandemic outbreak. I am completely unsatisfied with TurboTax. I received an email stating you will be retrieving $85 dollars from my bank account on April 10th. for your services but I don’t have my refund yet. 

I am in your exact situation. I did not receive my refund last year or this year. The IRS has quietly shut its doors and left us to rot. We cannot call anyone. Not even the Taxpayer Advocate services can help. This is very wrong. VERY. I feel just like you do.....now is not the time. We need our money during this very difficult time. I hope everything works in your favor. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax will not have a status on your refund. If the IRS website says processing, this means they are working on it. Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/use-the-wheres-my-refund-tool Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

I am at about 11 weeks for my tax return as well. I go to track it on the IRS site put in my social, amount owed date filed and I have tried several different dates just says can not be found. I called the IRS and on the automated system asks all the same questions but what was nice they just asked if I filed before March 20 or after so I know it was before. Still unknown.  Turbo would not let me e-file for some reason told me to print it out and mail it and then get the direct deposit.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@usascott2000  Be sure when checking Where’s My Federal Refund? site that you are entering only your Federal refund amount. This can be found on your Federal form 1040, line 21a. Also if you paid any fees out of your federal refund, use the refund figure prior to the deduction of he fees. If you are filing joint, be sure to enter the filers information that appears first on the return.

Put in Federal amount no state tax in Nevada paid Turbo with my Credit card so amount is right refund amount is right and married filing jointly is right. After 11 weeks kind of getting scared put on four first class stamps and went to the post office Feb 3, 2020...Plus it was direct deposit so I know its not lost in the mail. IRS site still says,

We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:

• verify your filing date;
  • check with your tax preparer

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within six weeks of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@usascott2000 The IRS asks you wait 4 weeks after you mail your return before looking up your refund at Where's My Refund? This can take longer if they are backed up, which they are running on limited staff. I would suggest to continue to monitor the Where’s My Federal Refund? site, updates are made daily, usually overnight because the IRS is not taking calls at this time.

Please see the links below for more information:

I am very fustrated with the IRD and turbotax. I paid you guys to do my taxes and got charged for it but still have not received federal taxes. It has been 10 weeks!!! Since filing. I received my NY state taxes way back in February but still no federal. I can not call IRS as there is no human. The IRS website says still processing which is a bunch of crap it has been 10 weeks. Someone needs to help me find our where my money is !!

I have the SAME question if anyone can help because apparently the IRS is unable to do that. It has been 11 weeks since the IRS received my 1040 and I have not received my Federal refund yet. I have checked the IRS website and it shows "your tax return is still being processed". I have called their 800 number and NO ONE is able to help me with this matter since there are no agents available. I have checked the app IRS2GO as well and it shows the same thing the website shows. TurboTax is unable to help either. UGH.... I do not know what to do at this point. This is the first time I did it through Turbo Tax and at first I though I did something wrong but I received my State refund three weeks after they received my forms. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic and phone agents are not available at the moment to answer questions about refunds.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

The IRS issues a lot of refunds within 21 days, but it could take longer.  Trying using the following link to track your refund.

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies