Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

lyda1231
Returning Member

How long does it take to see a deposit for child support arrears? My child's father is past due nearly $1200 and pays by state DCS . Will his return bring him current?

**bleep** that sucks well please keep me posted as soon as I receive mine (GOD WILLING) I will definitely let you know and you too once you get yours please let me know. Have yourself a wonderful Thanksgiving 🦃

How long does it take to see a deposit for child support arrears? My child's father is past due nearly $1200 and pays by state DCS . Will his return bring him current?

Hi I had this happen to me with the stimulus money, I noticed in my child support app it decreased by 1700, which was the amount of his stimulus. i came to find out that all of that money was taken by the state becaiae of medical support,  my children are on medicaid and the attorney general took the while 1700 and put it back to the state instead of giving me any. So def look into that, he still owes more medical,th irs have intercepted his return now, that was Oct 21st and half of it will go to what's still owed to the state and the other half will come to me. I can't find any info on when I may get this money though and he didnt file with a spouse so i shouldnt be waiting on injured spouse form. Smh it's crazy 

I don't think thats correct.  Medicaid is there to help low income families and if your children are on medicaid its because you cannot afford to purchase medical insurance.  The Attorney General should not be taking those funds from your children.  Besides that is included in your child support balance.  Your child should not be punished for that.  I don't think that is correct.  You should do some more digging on that!  Did they send you a letter notifying you of those charges?

Angfran3

My ex received a letter in March 2020 that his 2019 taxes were taken for back child support and told me the amount. I called ORS throughout the year and was given several dates. "Check back in Sept, check back in Oct, check back in Nov, check back in Jan, then check back after March 31st" they are trying to say that the stimulus checks are on hold because there may be errors. Im not asking about the stimulus amounts I'm asking about the taxes they've been holding on to. I was told "we can't tell which amount is taxes and which amount is stimulus so we have to hold on to all of it". How many millions of dollars is ORS "holding on to" while making interest, while these fatherless children miss out on financial support? All for a bs reason that "we can't tell which deposit is taxes"? I dont think this should be legal. How do we file complaint about this???

Contact your local congress person's office to get help from them. 

tluster71
Returning Member

It's very confusing my child's father called and said he received a letter 6/24/21 that the IRS took his taxes and they were given to me in the amount of 1800.00 for my child support arrears as of today I haven't received anything. Why on earth is it taking so long to process? 

Is there someone in Michigan I can call to ask if they are processing it or anything? He is upset with me for one that he received the letter that his taxes were taken and given to me down to him saying to go sign off on this so they can get out of his business. I'm not signing off on arrears I am interested in my money that is coming my way just want to know when it's hitting my account that is all. Any ideas people tell me and thanks in advance. Be blessed and safe 

If he filed as married it can take up to 180 days for them to release the payment.

Contact the child support division that sends you the payments and ask them what their time line is ... BUT the IRS can hold the money for up to 6 months before releasing it to the CS department.  

And he is upset because he didn't get the stimulus payments in advance when they could not be taken for back CS payments  but the credit on the tax return he filed to get the $1800 credit  was allowed to be grabbed for back CS  or prior year fed/state balance dues.   This is not your problem so don't worry about it. 

That's what they told me 6 months did it take that long

DAVLIN
Returning Member

It did I always filed in the beginning of February and would get the child support usually end of August or September 

When you file has nothing to do with it ... the refund is being taken from the other parent's return so it is 6 months from when THEY filed. 

tluster71
Returning Member

My son's father isn't married. He just told me that he was calling me to find out if I received the 1800.00 that the IRS sent him a letter about his 2020 taxes being sent to me instead of him. He said the letter had the county I reside in and my name that the payment was sent to me. This was June 23rd and still haven't received anything. What could they possibly be doing with the money over a month ago? this makes no sense - who do I reach out to get a time frame as to when to expect the money??? thanks 

tluster71
Returning Member

so after they sent him this letter to tell him that it's going to me? Why so long? This makes no sense  

@tluster71 Your question is not very clear----do you mean your children's father's stimulus check  or income tax refund was seized for child support he owes to you?    TurboTax will not know anything about that.   If his stimulus check was offset for child support then contact your local child support enforcement agency to see what happened to the money and how soon you can expect to receive it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies