Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

How long does it take to see a deposit for child support arrears? My child's father is past due nearly $1200 and pays by state DCS . Will his return bring him current?

This FAQ site may answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
darrius36

How long does it take to see a deposit for child support arrears? My child's father is past due nearly $1200 and pays by state DCS . Will his return bring him current?

My name is Markita. And I'm going through this same thing. My ex stimulus check was taken back in April. He receives disability. His wife didn't file him on her taxes. I called dhr but was told they don't see the payment. Why is the irs holding the funds. I need that money for my son. I shouldn't have to keep waiting. My ex is behind over $11,000 in back support.

@darrius36 TurboTax has no involvement with collecting child support owed to you.  That is a matter to resolve with the local agency that enforces your child support order.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ok ... first the IRS can delay the payout for up to 6 months to allow for an injured spouse form to be filed if the delinquent party is married ... nothing you can do to speed up that process.  

AND ... if the delinquent party owes back child support then why do you think they even have a refund on their return ?  A wise person would under withhold on purpose so they owe on the return thus there is nothing to grab for child support ... this is a common situation which again you can do nothing about.

Finally ... all situations that required human interaction on both the IRS and child support agency sides will take much longer this year due to the 3 month shut down in those agencies ... sadly nothing you can do to speed up the process here either.  

the state of new mexico took my ex husband whole $2,200 stimulus check and refuses to release or give my children any of it! Saying they need it because it cost alot to run their department! This is     Child Support office is located i SANTA FE NEW MEXICO. Then they said that if he owes the state or taxes it will.go there if any is left. What am I missing? 

I got the same answer. it was intercepted about 2 weeks ago, and my caseworker said 6 months. Aldo found out they will likely not be intercepting the second stimulus check. She owes me almost 15k now...smh...

just wish the process was a little more transparent.

I have yet to receive my back pay.  The child support office say they don’t have a date to when funds will be released.  Anyone else having this same issue?  First they told me within the second week of October, then they told me the IRS doesn’t have a set date! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

only the IRS can answer. you may try calling the IRS 800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.

In a normal tax year the IRS can and does hold the distribution for 6 months or more in some cases   but due to the 4 month covid shut down anything requiring human interaction is taking much longer to process. 

Coraw17

I'm in Texas, the monies were received in the to the AOG's office in May of this year. I spoke to a rep today, he informed me that as of October 1st , stimulus checks were still on hold. Supposedly the other parent could possibly be married and the IRS is double checking on that. I told him he wasn't and if that changes the circumstances, he said no it was out of the AOG's office hands. Doesn't make sense to me if the IRS has already released the monies to the AOG, why would they still have them hold it? 

Do you know if its exactly 6 months? Asking because on the website for my child support payments, it says pending for the money and the date posted was May 15th. I know 180 days will be next Wednesday Nov.11th. So im wondering, is it just 180 days including weekends and holidays? Or are weekends and holidays excluded from the 180 days. This is so confusing to me as I never have had a large payment come in before. I have barely had any child support given for my son within the 6 years his father has been on it. Any help would be so appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

All I can say is don't count on this money being released on any certain date and you will not be disappointed.  Doubt you will get a straight answer from the child support agency or the IRS but you can try to call them on Monday. 

How the Program Works

State child support agencies submit the names, Social Security numbers, and amounts of past-due support of people who are behind in their payments to the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement.

The federal office then makes a list of those cases that are eligible for the Federal Tax Refund Offset Program. That list is submitted to the Treasury Department's Financial Management Service.

The Treasury Department sends a Pre-Offset Notice to let the parent who is behind on payments know that part or all of their federal tax refund is scheduled to be intercepted and sent to the child support recipient. The notice explains the process and shows the amount of past-due support owed at the time of the notice. The Pre-Offset Notice includes information about the Federal Tax Refund Offset, passport denial, and other actions the child support agency may take to enforce a support obligation. 

It also includes information about how to contest the debt amount.

The state that submitted the case typically receives money from a tax refund offset within two to three weeks. If the tax refund offset is from a jointly filed tax return, the state may hold the money for up to six months before disbursing.

The actual amount that the Treasury Department deducts from the tax refund may differ from the amount on the Pre-Offset Notice based on updated activity on the support obligation. The state updates the debt amount regularly, but may not issue a new notice each time the debt amount changes

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/tax-refunds-and-unpaid-child-support-2998147#:~:text=The%20state%20tha....

lyda1231
Returning Member

Hi! Back on May 18th 2020 I also had a payment being with held too? I have been told the same exact things. 6 months came and left and still nothing? I noticed that the balance of the back pay child support is still minus the payment they are with holding? I did mention it to the lady at the Child Support office that either it gets released or they need to apply it back on to my past due child support. Please let me know if you get yours. Thank you in advance and GOD BLESS YOU 🙏😇

I will let you know.  I looked into it more and finally was able to get someone from the IRS.  They said they have no funds on hold and that it has all been released to the state.  My ex had an overpayment and that was determined in May.  I’m thinking when that is paid they will release the payment but who knows.  The child support office told me it may even take until March!  Which is totally not ok! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies