Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wrong information on my income tax filing

irs sent me   a notice thtat my filing was incorrect.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax receives no information from the IRS after you file your tax return.   No one at TT knows about the letter or message you received about your return.   Would you like to provide some details so we can help?  Do not post any personal information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

TurboTax receives no information from the IRS after you file your tax return.   No one at TT knows about the letter or message you received about your return.   Would you like to provide some details so we can help?  Do not post any personal information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What notice did they send ?  

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

Please look at Lines 28 and 30 of Form 1040.   Most everyone who posts on these boards about an adjusted refund finds the problem on one of two lines

In both cases, TT asked you to enter how much you received last year for the Stimulus and the Advance Child Tax Credit.  If you did not enter a number that matched the IRS records (since they are the ones who sent you the money, so they know), the IRS adjusted these lines by the difference, which reduces the refund / increases what you owe.

Check you bank account statements for last March - May 2021 (for the stimulus) and then July - December, 2021 for the Advance Child tax credit.  Please do not do from memory.

I suspect this has nothing to do with your income being over $150,000 - TT would calculate that adjustment correctly.

What is the EXACT amount of the refund adjustment? what is on Lines 28 and 30 of Form 1040? 

Hello.  The information the IRS sent me (by mail, not by email) showed the return indicated i had children and I did not include their social security number, etc.   I can send a copy of the return they sent me.   I have no idea why the IRS looked at my return and decided I had missed including social security numbers for dependents of some sort.  I think there is some sort of field on the return that the IRS thinks I checked and then didn't provide the proper information.  I am 80 years old, a widow, no dependents, no one living in my home, no human being.  If anyone can  provide information, I would appreciate it.  I believe the IRS indicated I had a certain amount of time to appeal and warned it could take a very long time to get someone on the phone when I call.

Thank you for any help or information anyone can provide.    Jolene Smith   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies