turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I get a federal refund if my file says “federal tax due”?

I just e-filed my taxes and apparently there’s a federal tax due of $215. Do I have to pay $215 in order to receive my federal refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

if what you reported is correct, you are not getting a refund.  your tax liability was more than your withholding and estimated tax payments. you need to pay the IRS $215 on or before 4/15/2021. you can either send in form 1040-V with a check. make sure to read TT filing instructions for what must be on the check to avoid issues. you also have the option of using IRS website - Direct Pay to pay through your checking a/c  (free) or debit or credit card.  if you pay by mail use a tracking method. 

https://www.irs.gov/payments 

I live in CA and I received unemployment benefits and also I have the 1099G form and the W2 form. The two forms states that I have Federal income tax withheld. I withheld taxes every week on my weekly benefits. I did schedule a direct deposit ($215) before the deadline. So if pay the IRS, I’m still not getting a federal refund?  Although I am receiving a state refund, I was hoping to receive a federal refund as well...

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Be sure you have entered the withholding amounts into TurboTax when you entered your Forms W2 and 1099G. Did you enter the payment ($215) in the "Estimated Taxes" topic as part of your "Deductions & Credits"? 

If you have made all those entries and the "Federal Owed" amount still shows and you are claiming the standard deduction, then you will not be getting a federal refund.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did entered the withholding amount for both forms, although I don’t quite remembered if I entered the payment on that specific topic. I just scheduled the payment on 03/01. I can’t go back since it’s already submitted. It is possible my file can be rejected? And if that’s the case, then perhaps I can review the file once again...

Many folks are going to be shocked this year due to all the unemployment they got ... usually the 10% they withhold is not enough  so either folks are going to owe or get a reduced refund.  

Uncle Sam wants YOU ... to pay when taxes are due.

If you know for sure you already sent in that payment,

do nothing, IRS will adjust your return to give you credit for that.

OTHERWISE, pay be April 15 to avoid penalties and interest.

I guess I’ll just have to wait patiently and see what will happen... thanks to everyone! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies