Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kmej25
Returning Member

Why will it not let me amend my return?

I accidentally messed up a digit of the SS# of one of my dependents but because I have unemployment benefits allocated for on my return, turbotax wont let me fill out the 1040X form. My filing has been approved and processed by the IRS but I lost out on $700.00 because of this error. How long will it take until I will be able to fill out the correction form? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Since your return did have unemployment compensation, you will need to wait to amend your return.  There are some additional changes being made by the IRS.  Once they are implemented, you will be able to amend your return.

Please see the link below to be updated when the amended returns are available.

Amended return notification sign up

@kmej25

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KCRox

I am trying to amend my return for the $10,200 unemployment benefit reduction because it made me newly eligible for the EITC. I did not receive this on my original filing. Turbotax software lets me go through the amendment, but then when I get to the efile, it says returns already submitted...you have no returns eligible for e-filing. What am I doing wrong??

SamS1
Expert Alumni

The American Rescue Plan Act recently passed allows exclusion of $10,200 of income from unemployment for households with income less than $150,000.  If you've already filed your return, the IRS says you don’t need to do anything to take advantage of this benefit. They've assured us there's no faster way to get any additional money you are owed. In fact, amending your return could delay your payment.

Since you already filed your return, I would wait till the IRS completes the adjustments for returns previously filed.  These additional refunds are to start being issued in May.  Click her for more information from IRS.gov.

This is for the change in the unploymwnt based on the government and my original has already been processed 

and sent. to me

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

You do not need to do anything to claim the exclusion - the IRS will refigure your taxes using the excluded unemployment compensation amount and adjust your account accordingly. The IRS will send any refund amount directly to you."

See IRS to recalculate taxes on unemployment benefits; refunds to start in May. for additional information,

My 2019 tax return was denied due to my AGI. I've contacted the IRS, and spoken to TT support several time and the only thing I've been told is that I need to mail it in. I opened my 2019 tax return in TT Amend and I'd like to change my phone number, for some reason, I cant just modify the text. Why is this and how do I change my daytime phone number on a 2019 tax return in TurboTax Amend.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I will suggest you to contact our Support team. Click here:  TurboTax contact

ktg6

I amended my return (via turbotax) because the change in unemployment taxation made me eligible for EITC, and also a K-1 came in really late. My unemployment "refund" came automatically, but the amended return later showed up as accepted with $0 change. I should have gotten quite a bit more when they processed the amended return. According to the "where's my amended tax return refund" website and my tax transcripts, everything has been processed and $0 additional refund. 

Is there a way to resubmit the amended return? Has this been happening to others - like they assumed the unemployment change was the only reason we amended so the rest was ignored?? Do they not give an explanation when they disregard your changes?

Thanks!

This is an unusual situation this year  so there is no previous track record to go off of in this matter.   You can send in another amended return to get the missing credit ... make sure column A reflect the changes the IRS made.  This may not be easy to do in the program so completing a paper copy may be needed since you will need to mail in the second amended return. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

How can we assist @KINDRED KNIGHT?

jackie75

I am having the same problem. I need to amend my Certificate of Rend Paid because our property managers got the numbers wrong on it but I didn't notice until after I submitted my return. I have the correct one now. Does anyone know when I will be able to do that and if it is going to affect how soon I get my federal and state back? I know you have to mail in those separate so I am hoping that it wont affect anything.

For MN?

To obtain the refund, the taxpayer must have a CRP, Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP), for each rental unit lived in during the year. The taxpayer's landlord is required to deliver a completed CRP to the taxpayer no later than January 31st of each year.

You will need the CRP to determine your refund, if any, and you must include what is called a Form M1PR with the CRP when it is filed. These forms have to be printed and mailed in to:

Minnesota Property Tax Refund
St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

TurboTax will prepare the Form M1PR for you to print. Towards the end of the step-by-step interview for Minnesota you will reach the Other Forms You May Need screen. To have the M1PR prepared and made available for printing, make sure you check the Property Tax Refund (Form M1PR) check box on the Other Forms You May Need screen, then follow the prompts through the end of the interview.

You can also file your M1PR free of charge at the MN Dept. of Revenue Property Tax Refund site, and if you're a homeowner, you can e-file it through the MN DOR's Property Tax Refund Online Filing System.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jackie75

Yeah so what happened was the one they sent me at first was the full rent amount that was paid and I didnt realize until after I submitted it that the number should have been cut in half and my boyfriend should have gotten a seperate CRP for his half. So I need to amend the amount of rent paid on my return, it should be cut in half. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies