turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why is my return still pending?

Wont give me the option to file again.

@Jooos389wA9 wrote:

my return On the IRS site just says received and is being Processed.  On turbo tax it says accepted . Now do I go by the fact that it’s just sitting there being processed since the February 12 ?  or will i actually  see something telling me it’s rejected ?

When TurboTax shows a status of "accepted" , that is only referring to the efile status.  That means the IRS accepted the efiled return and agreed to begin processing it.

If the IRS tool says it's "being processed", that's normal.  That means they are working on it.  The IRS says 9 out of 10 filers who efile and choose direct deposit will get their Federal refunds within 21 days after being accepted. Some returns are processed fairly quickly, while others require additional processing due to specific items in the return. Some are pulled at random for more thorough investigation.

How did you find your return status? I could only find the refund status which they don’t even have.

The same issue here and I am fighting for the past 17 dyas and whenever I all TT, they say that there is a backlog at IRS where as many people filed after mine got accepted by IRS.  I also read people used another software and that was accepted within seconds, can anyone suggest that, i will buy and use it.  And ask for refund from TT as they are not aware what is going on and they do not have ethics to accept that there are issues and they will rectify for us

@ensridhar @Try calling irs that’s how I found out and a few other people found out their return was rejected with pending status from turbo tax. They can’t tell you if they received it only if it was rejected. Which in terms tells you they received it. Explain to them when you filed though because if you don’t they are going to tell you you have to wait 21 days from the acceptance email that so many of us never got. Also before you call check the wmr on the irs website because they also asked me did I check the site. Some people have checked the site and was accepted apparently but turbo tax still says pending. Mines was rejected but on turbo tax website it still says pending although I already filed with another software and am now approved with my little bar moving right along on the wmr site. I don’t have all the answers but hope this helps you get some resolution with your return.

Update on my situation:

I had not received a rejected notice and my return was stuck in pending. (I e-filed self-employment with EIC and ACTC 2/8/21.)

After 11 days of being stuck in pending, I decided last night to file with a different tax service. I looked on the IRS website for free or recommended tax platforms and decided on FreeTaxUSA. The filing for my federal return was free. I paid $12.95 for them to file my Alabama state return and then an additional/optional $6.99 for premium service options such as audit assistance, additional support, etc. (After this nightmare with TT, I figured I better make sure I had proper support.) Turbo Tax was going to charge me $90 for the self employed version plus $40 to withdraw their cost from my refund. That's $130 total versus the $19.99 I paid FreeTaxUSA. I also will be receiving a higher refund than what TT had settled on. 

I refiled last night at app 11:30 PM. Within 30 minutes my federal return had been accepted. It then alerted me that my Alabama state return should follow suit within the next 2-4 days but mentioned that some states do take longer. This morning at 7:45 AM I received an email from FTUSA informing me that my Alabama state return has been accepted. In a matter of hours, both of my returns have been accepted where they had been pending with Turbo Tax for 11 days and counting. 

It's unacceptable that TT has left so many people hanging and uninformed with very little communication or any communication at all that could actually be counted on. Yes, we are in a pandemic and I'm sure they are working hard. This is their one service tho and the lack of true, helpful, customer service was what drew the line for me. I decided I was not going to wait until this Friday in hopes of a change or another email promising a resolution was on it's way. That's more time added on to the possible 21 day refund wait. I've never been tied up for so long and I would never have filed early if Turbo Tax was not encouraging taxpayers to do so. I assumed that since they were encouraging early filing, they would be prepared and capable of handling it. There clearly seems to be several issues within their filing system software or something causing the issue. The problem is not the IRS or a backlog or anything else. This seems to be nothing more than TT using the ole CYA tactic or hoping to not have to admit that they've dropped the ball significantly. It has been proven repetitively that the issue lies with TT as many of us have moved on to file with a different tax service with no issues and with returns that were accepted within minutes. 

Best of luck to all who are still pending, waiting, and hoping for a resolution.

katelynnthomp
Returning Member

@Teek21    Hello! so you can refile after you've already filed? what if IRS WMR shows mine as "received" and on the first bar? Can you still refile with someone else at that point or only if yours isnt showing in the system?

@katelynnthomp @No you can only refile if you are rejected or need to amend your taxes. If you see a bar on the irs site that means they have your return. If you claimed the etic credit or child credit it seem to take a little longer to process. The irs does this to make sure children’s socials aren’t coming in on multiple taxes hence theft. You are accepted just give them some time to process it.

Mine was not received, accepted, or rejected. It was simply stuck in pending like so many others waiting on TT to correct errors so that it could be refiled. 

If the IRS already has your return then you cannot submit another unless they reject it for some reason. You would have to wait and file an amended return. (If I am understanding your situation correctly) Sounds like you are just waiting on the IRS to finish processing your’s and to issue your refund.

Talked TT rep today - the session went on for more than an hour - finally i understood that there is issue with TT s/ware that causes the return to show "pending" and may be a mismatch with the IRS s/ware expectation - the reason for rejections.  It looks like they are working on it but no timeframe was mentioned. 

also see the link updated yesterday

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/why-is-my-re[product key removed]ng-updated...

Hope it gets resolved soon

• Im still waiting since Feburary 12.  Ive been rejected over 20 attempts.  Something needs to be done.

@Catchme55 wrote:
  • Im still waiting since Feburary 12.  Ive been rejected over 20 attempts.  Something needs to be done.

Rejected for what reason?  What is the rejection error code?

@mesquitebean @Try another filing place. Once you are rejected you don’t have to continue to file with turbo tax

When the efile is rejected, that means that there is something on the return that needs to be corrected before it will be accepted.  You need to go back into TurboTax and correct the problem that is causing the rejection.  If you file again without fixing the error, then the file will continue to be rejected.

Here is a TurboTax article explaining how to deal with the rejection.

@MaryM428  Have you read any of the comments. Stop telling ppl stuff they already know. Stop play us for fools. Turbo tax is clueless on what the problem is truly. I spoke with one of your “experts” and she admitted to me she had no clue why my federal was still pending but my state was rejected. Oh what did it reject for , because turbo tax is a joke and their software is trash. You “experts “ need to be apologizing not repeating yourselves 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies